The Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences is committed to service, education, research and training in support of the combat and peacetime needs of the Armed Forces of the United States of America. We are dedicated to the serve the needs of all the Uniformed Services through excellence in active clinical practice, research, and the education, training, and professional development of medical students, physicians, and other allied health care providers. In order to accomplish this mission, the following core principles guide our department:
- We strive to develop and nurture a highly skilled professional faculty to ensure excellence in patient care, education, and research.
- We are committed to active integration of our expertise into all four years of medical student education.
- We are committed to active support of the education, research and patient care goals of the National Capital Consortium Anesthesiology Residency and its component fellowship programs (Critical Care and Pain Management) in order to recruit trainees of the highest caliber, and to develop the trainees to their greatest potential as anesthesiologists, intensivists, and pain physicians.
- We are committed to maintaining the 20 year history of excellence of the Department of Anesthesiology Malignant Hyperthermia Diagnostic Center. We will continue to provide consultative and diagnostic services for the evaluation and management of service members and dependants suspected of or diagnosed with Malignant Hyperthermia. In maintaining this excellence, we will continue to provide advice to the Department of Defense on policy development and other issues related to Malignant Hyperthermia.
- We are committed to maintaining and developing active research programs that will create new knowledge, enhance healthcare, and maintain our department as a leader in Malignant Hyperthermia and Combat Casualty Care Research. We will actively support and develop the research endeavors of faculty and trainees.
- We are committed to the development and integration of effective simulation in the medical student and residency curricula. We will further strive to support simulation development for the education and training of all Department of Defense Healthcare Providers.
- We will strive to become a central critical resource for the Department of Defense Anesthesia Community in areas of education, training and professional development.
- We support efforts to collaborate with the education, healthcare, and scientific community in areas that are consistent with our mission and core principles.
- We will allocate resources according to our mission and core principles.