Fundamentals of Global Health Engagement Course - San Diego, CA
Enhance participant competency to develop and execute successful global health engagement (GHE) programs and activities.
A three-day course to improve understanding of the full array of issues surrounding and shaping GHE. The Fundamentals of Global Health Engagement(FOGHE) course is taught by a diverse cadre of subject matter experts with expertise and experience in many aspects of health. Participants in this course will gain a greater understanding of 1) the strategic, operational, and civil-military considerations in DoD GHE; 2) the framework for establishing the context of a health engagement; and 3) the components of planning, executing, and monitoring the activity.
- Military Health System and Public Health Service personnel expected to participate in GHE activities;
- USG agency personnel seeking to understand DoD GHE better;
- International military and civilian partners, representatives of academic institutions, and health personnel from non-governmental organizations with interest in GHE.
An interactive seminar-style format is used to present the content and skills critical to developing and conducting effective GHE programs and activities. Pre-course readings highlight documents that guide the conduct of GHE. The 3-day in-residence course then builds an awareness of a complex set of variables that shape the development of GHE programs and the key principles to planning and conducting a GHE activity. Students will participate in a series of small group activities designed to reinforce and enhance the academic instruction.
- GHE Strategic Guidance and Rationale
- Principles and Practices of GHE
- GHE Stakeholders and Coordination
- Strategic Planning for GHE
- Health Context, Culture, and Communication
- Functional Planning for GHE
- Monitoring and Evaluation of GHE Programs
- Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief
- One Health and Veterinary Stability Operations
- Strategic and Health Risk Communication
- Ethical Considerations in GHE
Enrollment is at the discretion of the Course Director and/or the Host Unit. There is no registration/course fees. Participants are responsible for all travel/attendance related costs. This course is approved to award AMA PRA Category 1 credit(s)™.