Fundamentals of Global Health Engagement I
Enhance participant competency to develop and execute successful global health engagement (GHE) programs and activities.
A three-day in-residence course to improve understanding of the full array of issues surrounding and shaping GHE. The Fundamentals of Global Health Engagement (FOGHE) course is taught by a diverse cadre of subject matter experts with experience in many aspects of health. Course participants will gain a greater understanding of 1) the strategic, operational and civil-military considerations in DoD GHE; 2) the framework for establishing the context of a health engagement; and 3) the components of planning, executing and monitoring the activity.
- Military Health System and Public Health Service personnel expected to participate in GHE activities;
- USG agency personnel seeking to gain a better understanding of DoD GHE;
- International military and civilian partners, representatives of academic institutions and health personnel from non-governmental organizations with interest in GHE.
We use an interactive seminar-style format to present the content and skills critical to developing and conducting effective GHE programs and activities. This includes assigning pre-course readings that highlight documents that guide the conduct of GHE. The course then builds an awareness of a complex set of variables that shape the development of GHE programs and the key principles to planning and conducting a GHE activity. Students also participate in a series of small group activities designed to reinforce and enhance the academic instruction.
- Strategic Guidance and Rationale
- Principles and Practices of GHE
- Stakeholders and Coordination
- Strategic Planning
- Health Context Analysis Framework
- Health Culture & Communication
- Functional Planning
- Assessment, Monitoring and Evaluation
- Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Response
- One Health and Veterinary Stability Operations
- Women, Peace and Security
- Ethical Considerations in GHE
Fundamentals of Global Health Engagement II
Those who will be assuming a Senior GHE leader or Planner role at the Combatant Commands (COCOMs) or Service Components will have a fundamental understanding of GHE and how to employ it as a security cooperation tool.
This is a new 2-day global health engagement training course is meant to be given in conjunction with FOGHE I.
Senior leaders and planners involved in GHE at the COCOMs or Service Components. Suggested target ranks are E6-8 and O3-5. Most of the audience is expected to be active duty or full time Guard/Reserve personnel.
- Understand how GHE is used as a tool to help achieve US and DoD’s national security objectives.
- Understand GHE’s role in the COCOM’s security cooperation program/portfolio.
- Understand how GHE is programmed and planned for at the COCOMs.
- Understand what DoD authorities and funding lines are most applicable for GHE activities and be able to explain how those authorities and funding are used.
- Understand how AM&E is incorporated throughout all of GHE activities.
Enrollment is at the discretion of the Course Director and/or the Host Unit. There are no registration/course fees. Participants are responsible for all travel/attendance related costs.