The mission of the Center for Global Health Engagement (CGHE) is to lead, integrate, and synchronize Uniformed Services University’s global health engagement (GHE) contributions to the Joint Force, Combatant Commands (CCMDs), Services, Military Health System (MHS) and ultimately, to national security objectives. We will accomplish this by providing a hub for GHE thought leadership and knowledge; resource advocacy for GHE-related programs; operational support to the Joint Force; training and professional development; management of GHE-related research; and assessment, monitoring, and evaluation.
CGHE will provide strategic and operational reach-back support to the Department of Defense (DoD) GHE community and facilitate communications with interagency, academic, and other non-DoD partners.
- CGHE will develop and maintain a document repository for policy and strategy documents as well as seminal works related to GHE.
- CGHE will harness the GHE expertise of the USU community and collaborating partners, both internal and external to the Federal Government, to support scholarship, teaching, research and other emerging needs.
CGHE will provide relevant information to support requests by the Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense (Health Affairs) (OASD(HA)) and other OSD offices for resources to meet MHS/Joint Staff/CCMD requirements.
- This will entail prioritizing, enabling and supporting resource investments, via Program Objective Memorandum initiatives and other funding streams.
- CGHE will develop a Defense Health Program Research Development Training and Evaluation GHE research strategy and manage this program on behalf of the Research, Development, and Acquisition Directorate at the Defense Health Agency.
CGHE will provide a range of training and assessment capabilities.
- CGHE will conduct education and training courses to support the professional development of current and future MHS GHE professionals in order to meet the GHE capability needs of the Joint Force and partner nations (where applicable).
- CGHE will develop assessment, monitoring and evaluation capabilities to support MHS, OSD, Joint Staff and CCMD efforts to measure the effectiveness of GHE initiatives.
- CGHE will work closely with the Defense Institute of Medical Operations and the Defense Medical Readiness Training Institute to leverage existing training capabilities.
CGHE will provide mission support and coordinate with the Joint Force and CCMDs.
- CGHE will draw on existing subject matter expertise and capabilities within USU and its collaborating partners to support missions involving security cooperation, humanitarian assistance, disaster response, health threat mitigation and force health protection in support of the Joint Force and CCMDs.
- CGHE will align USU GHE capabilities with Joint Force requirements. Where practical, this will include participation in annual security-cooperation-related meetings and in health-related capability development work groups that support the CCMD Lines of Effort and Embassy Military Groups.