Highlights from the discussion:
- There was a question if first impressions are important and because of confirmation bias and the “Impostor syndrome” it is important to be aware of first impressions.
- Everyone is concerned about first impressions
- Having a mentor or sponsor or friend to guide you through new situations helps
- Making an impression is a continuous act not a single event
- When meeting a group, it only takes one person to make a new person feel less self-conscious and welcomed
- When presenting remember that you are the subject matter expert
- Physical qualities influence impressions such as height, dress, positioning and grooming. Be aware of what you can change