Michael J. Roy, MD, MPH
Michael J. Roy, MD, MPH
Name: Michael J. Roy, MD, MPH
Department of Primary Appointment: Dept. of Medicine
Position: USU Faculty
Title: Professor of Medicine, Director, Division of Military Internal Medicine, Director, Recruitment Core, Center for Neuroscience and Regenerative Medicine
- Sc.B. and MD, Brown University
- MPH, Uniformed Services University
- Retired Colonel, US Army, after 24 years’ active duty service
Research/Areas of Expertise
Physical and psychological consequences of war and deployment, including environmental and occupational hazards faced by service members, with attention to the best methods to prevent, diagnose, and treat resulting conditions. A particular focus on battlefield stressors, posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and traumatic brain injury (TBI), as well as on leveraging new technologies including the use of virtual reality, novel imaging techniques such as functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) and diffusion tensor imaging (DTI), and smart phone applications to facilitate early identification, risk stratification, and therapy.
Co-director, Introduction to Clinical Reasoning course, which provides medical students with their first taste of developing problem lists, differential diagnoses, and consideration of management plans. Also teaches in Human Context in Health Care; Introduction to Clinical Skills, Ethical, Legal, and Social Aspects of Medicine; Medical History; and Thinking on Action courses for preclinical medical students. Preceptor of students on clinical internal medicine clerkship.
Selected Recent Publications
- Roy MJ (ed.). Physician’s Guide to Terrorist Attack. 2004, Totawa, NJ: Humana Press
- Roy, MJ (ed.) Novel Approaches to the Diagnosis and Treatment of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder. 2006, Amsterdam: IOS Press.
- Roy MJ, Kraus PL, Seegers CA, Young SYN, Kamens DR, Law WA, Cherstniakova SA, Chang DN, Cooper JA, Sato PA, Matulich W, Krantz DS, Cantilena LR, Deuster PA. Pyridostigmine, Diethyltoluamide, Permethrin, and Stress: A Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Trial to Assess Safety. Mayo Clin Proc 2006;1303-10.
- Sticha DL, Olsen DE, Roy MJ. Virtual Standardized Patients for Training Health Professionals on Chemical and Biological Exposures. Cybertherapy 2006;419-24.
- Mensah GA, Bonow RO, Pepine CJ, Baddour LM, Cooper LT, Dunbar S, Froelicher ES, Grant AO, Greenlund KJ, Kaplan EL, Keenan N, Kloner RA, Labarthe DR, Luepker RV, Madjid M, Muller JE, Ornato JP, Roy MJ, Shah PK, Taubman MB, Wilson WR, Zheng Z. ACC/AHA/CDC Conference on Emerging Infectious Diseases and Biological Threats: The Clinical and Public Implications for the Prevention and Control of Heart Disease);Circulation 2007;115:1656-95.
- Madjid M, Luepker RV, Greenlund KJ, Taubert KA, Roy MJ, RobertsonRM. ACCF/AHA/CDC conference report on emerging infectious diseases and biological terrorism threats. Task Force IV: cardiovascular effects of emerging infectious diseases and biological terrorism threats: basic, clinical and population science research and training needs. J Am Coll Cardiol 2007;49:1407-12.
- Greenburg DL, Roy MJ. In the Shadow of Iraq: Posttraumatic Stress Disorder in 2007. JGIM 2007;22:888-9.
- Bi D, Leary KJ, Weitz J, Cherstniakova SA, Reil MA, Roy MJ, Cantilena LR. High performance liquid chromatographic measurement of iothalamate in human serum and urine for baseline estimation and follow-up evaluation of glomerular filtration rate. J Chromatograph B 2007;856:95-9.
- Durning SJ, Dorrance K, Denton D, Poremba J, Roy M. Do residents benefit from participating in internal medicine interest groups? A study of resident perceptions from two institutions. Mil Med 2007;172:210-3.
- Roy MJ, Lesperance R, Clough D. History of a Russian Doctor in World War II. Int’l Rev Armed Forces Med Serv 2008;81:57-62.
- Sessums LL, Collen JF, O’Malley PG, Jackson JL, Roy MJ. Ethical Practice Under Fire : Deployed Physicians in the Global War on Terrorism. Mil Med 2009 ;174 :441-7.
- Leary KJ, Riel MA, Roy MJ, Cantilena LR, Bi D, Brater DC, van de Pol C, Pruett K, Kerr C, Veazey JM Jr, Beboso R, Ohrt C. A randomized doublé-blind safety and tolerability study to assess the ophthalmic and renal effects of tafenoquine 200 mg weekly versus placebo for 6 months in healthy volunteers. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2009;81:356-62.
- Roy MJ; Francis J, Friedlander J, Banks-Williams L, Lande RJ, Taylor P, Blair J, McLellan J, Law WA, Tarpley VK, Patt I, Yu H, Mallinger A, Difede J, Rizzo A, Rothbaum BO. Improvement in Cerebral Function with Treatment of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder. Ann NY Acad Sci 2010;1208: 142-9.
- Roy MJ, Taylor P, Runge W, Grigsby E, Woolley M, Torgeson T. Web-Based Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Education for Military Family Members. Mil Med 2012;177:284-90.
- Durning SJ, Graner J, Artino A, Pangaro LN, Beckman T, Holmboe E, Oakes T, Roy MJ, Riedy G, Capaldi V, Walter R, van der Vleuten C, Schuwirth L. Using Functional Neuroimaging Combined with a Think-Aloud Protocol to Explore Clinical Reasoning Expertise in Internal Medicine. Mil Med 2012;177:72-78.
- Roy MJ, Costanzo M, Leaman S. Psychophysiologic Identification of Subthreshold PTSD in Combat Veterans. Stud Health Technol Inform 2012;181:149-55.
- Durning SJ, Costanzo M, Artino AR, Dyrbye LN, Beckman TJ, Scuwirth L, Holmboe E, Roy MJ, Wittich CM, Lipner RS, van der Vleuten C. Functional Neuroimaging Correlates of Burnout among Internal Medicine Residents and Faculty Members. Frontiers in Affective Disorders and Psychosomatic Research. 15OCT2013; doi: 10.3389/fpsyt.2013.00131
- Roy MJ, Costanzo M, Jovanovic T, Leaman S, Taylor P, Norrholm SD, Rizzo AA. Heart rate response to fear conditioning and virtual reality in subthreshold PTSD. Stud Health Technol Inform 2013;191:115-9.
- Durning SJ, Costanzo M, Artino AR, van der Vleuten C, Beckman TJ, Holmboe E, Roy MJ, Schuwirth L. Using Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging to Improve How We Understand, Teach and Assess Clinical Reasoning. J Continuing Ed Health Prof 2014;34:76-82.
- Roy MJ, Costanzo M, Blair J, Rizzo A. Compelling Evidence that Exposure Therapy for PTSD Normalizes Brain Function. Stud Health Technol Inform 2014;199:61-5.
- Costanzo M, Chou YY, Leaman S, Pham D, Keyser D, Nathan D, Coughlin M, Rapp M, Roy MJ. Connecting Combat-Related Mild Traumatic Brain Injury with Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Symptoms through Brain Imaging. Neuroscience Letters 2014 577:11-15.
- Costanzo, M. Leaman, S. Jovanovic, T. Norrholm, S.D, Rizzo, A.A. Taylor, P. Roy, M.J. Psychophysiological Response to Virtual Reality and Subthreshold PTSD Symptoms in Recently Deployed Military. Psychosomatic Medicine (in press).
Selected Professional Activities
Society for Brain Mapping and Therapeutics: President, 2009-2010, 2012-13, Board of Governors since 2009
American Medical Association: Delegate to Young Physicians' Section, 1991-98, with various leadership positions
American College of Physicians: Fellow since 1997; Army Chapter Awards Committee since 2001, Treasurer 2000-2010, frequent annual meeting planner
Society of General Internal Medicine: Abstract Reviewer, various committees, since 1993