Former Post-doctoral Fellow
USU, Department of Microbiology and Immunology
- M.S. and Ph.D. in Immunology, University of Queensland, Australia
- 1996-2000 - Post-Doctoral Research Fellow in Dr. Leon Eidels’ laboratory, Department of Microbiology, UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX
- 2000-2002 - Research-Track Instructor/Department of Microbiology, UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX
- 2002-2003 - Research-Track Instructor/Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
- 2003-2004 - Research Assistant Professor/Department of Oral Biology, Yonsei University College of Dentistry, Seoul, Korea
- 2004-2007 - Assistant Professor/Department of Oral Biology, Yonsei University College of Dentistry, Seoul, Korea
- 2008-Present - Associate Professor/Department of Oral Biology, Yonsei University College of Dentistry, Seoul, Korea
Makobongo M.O., Gilbreath J.J., Merrell D.S. Nontraditional therapies to treat Helicobacter pylori infection. J Microbiol. 2014 Apr;52(4):259-72.
Makobongo M.O., Einck L., Peek R.M. Jr., Merrell D.S. In vitro characterization of the anti-bacterial activity of SQ109 against Helicobacter pylori. PLoS One. 2013 Jul 25;8(7):e68917.
Makobongo M.O., Gancz H., Carpenter B.M., McDaniel D.P., Merrell D.S. The oligo-acyl lysyl antimicrobial peptide C₁₂K-2β₁₂ exhibits a dual mechanism of action and demonstrates strong in vivo efficacy against Helicobacter pylori. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2012 Jan;56(1):378-90.
Makobongo M.O., Kovachi T., Gancz H., Mor A., Merrell D.S. In vitro antibacterial activity of acyl-lysyl oligomers against Helicobacter pylori. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2009 Oct;53(10):4231-9.
Klein MM, Gittis AG, Su HP, Makobongo M.O., Moore JM, Singh S, Miller LH, Garboczi DN. The Cysteine-Rich Interdomain Region from the Highly Variable Plasmodium falciparum Erythrocyte Membrane Protein-1 Exhibits a Conserved Structure. PLoS Pathog. 2008 Sep 5;4(9):e1000147.
Makobongo M.O., Keegan B, Long CA, Miller LH. Immunization of Aotus monkeys with recombinant cysteine-rich interdomain region 1 alpha protects against severe disease during Plasmodium falciparum reinfection. J Infect Dis. 2006 Mar 1;193(5):731-40. Epub 2006 Jan 30.
Fairhurst RM, Baruch DI, Brittain NJ, Ostera GR, Wallach JS, Hoang HL, Hayton K, Guindo A, Makobongo M.O., Schwartz OM, Tounkara A, Doumbo OK, Diallo DA, Fujioka H, Ho M, Wellems TE. Abnormal display of PfEMP-1 on erythrocytes carrying haemoglobin C may protect against malaria. Nature. 2005 Jun 23;435(7045):1117-21.
Makobongo M.O., Riding G, Xu H, Hirunpetcharat C, Keough D, de Jersey J, Willadsen P, Good MF. The purine salvage enzyme hypoxanthine guanine xanthine phosphoribosyl transferase is a major target antigen for cell-mediated immunity to malaria. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003 Mar 4;100(5):2628-33. Epub 2003 Feb 19.
Wipasa J, Xu H, Makobongo M.O., Gatton M, Stowers A, Good MF. Nature and specificity of the required protective immune response that develops postchallenge in mice vaccinated with the 19-kilodalton fragment of Plasmodium yoelii merozoite surface protein 1. Infect Immun. 2002 Nov;70(11):6013-20.
Xu H, Wipasa J, Yan H, Zeng M, Makobongo M.O., Finkelman FD, Kelso A, Good MF. The mechanism and significance of deletion of parasite-specific CD4(+) T cells in malaria infection. J Exp Med. 2002 Apr 1;195(7):881-92.