The annual awards sponsored by the USU Faculty Senate include the Carol J. Johns Medal, the Henry C. Wu Award for Excellence in Basic Research, the James J. Leonard Award for Excellence in Clinical Research, the Innovation in Teaching Awards, and the Outstanding Staff Award.
The Carol J. Johns Medal
Carol J. Johns, M.D., Professor, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, was a long-time enthusiastic and effective supporter of the University. Dr. Johns worked for the health and survival of the University in numerous ways, and served as a member of the USU Board of Regents from 1985 until her death in 2000. A warm and gifted woman with remarkable personal humility and gentleness, Dr. Johns achieved the highest honors in academic medicine as a nationally recognized clinician, academician, and teacher. The University established an annual award in her name, the Carol J. Johns Medal. The Medal will honor the faculty member whose accomplishments emulate Dr. Johns spirit in: furthering the welfare and excellence of the USU faculty; promoting outstanding educational programs for the students; and, advancing the reputation of the University locally, nationally, and internationally. The Carol J. Johns Medal was presented for the first time during the 2001 USU Commencement Ceremonies.
Recipients of the Carol J. Johns Medal
- 2001 Louis Pangaro, M.D., Colonel, MC, USA (Retired), Professor, USU SOM Department of Medicine
- 2002 Rosemary C. Borke, Ph.D., Professor, USU SOM Department of Anatomy, Physiology and Genetics
- 2002 Val G. Hemming, M.D., Colonel, USAF, MC (Retired), Professor and Dean Emeritus, USU SOM
- 2003 Norman M. Rich, M.D., F.A.C.S., Professor and Chair, USU SOM Department of Surgery
- 2004 Cinda Helke, Ph.D., Professor, USU SOM Department of Pharmacology, Associate Dean, Graduate Education
- 2005 Eric S. Marks, M.D., Professor, USU SOM Department of Medicine, Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs
- 2006 Alison D. O'Brien, Ph.D., Professor & Chair, USU SOM Department of Microbiology and Immunology
- 2007 Neil E. Grunberg, Ph.D., Professor, USU SOM Department of Medical & Clinical Psychology
- 2008 Merrily Poth, M.D., Professor, USU SOM Department of Pediatrics
- 2009 Brian M. Cox, Ph.D., Professor, USU SOM Department of Pharmacology
- 2010 Paul A. Hemmer, M.D., MPH Colonel, USAF, MC, Professor, USU SOM Department of Medicine
- 2011 Sheila M. Muldoon, M.B., B.Ch., B.A.O., Professor, USU SOM Department of Anesthesiology
- 2012 Eleanor Metcalf, Ph.D., Professor USU SOM Department of Microbiology, Associate Dean of Graduate Education
- 2013 Mark C. Haigney MD, Professor, USU School of Medicine, Department of Medicine
- 2014 David G. McLeod, M.D., J.D., Colonel, MC, USA (Retired), Professor, USU SOM Department of Surgery
- 2015 Gerald V. Quinnan, Jr., M.D., Professor & Chair, USU SOM Department of Preventive Medicine & Biometrics
- 2016 Stephen J. Durning, M.D., Ph.D., Professor, USU SOM Department of Medicine
- 2017 Barbara Knollmann-Ritschel, M.D., Professor, USU SOM Department of Pathology
- 2018 Brian Reamy, M.D., Senior Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and Professor, USU SOM Department of Family Medicine
The Henry C. Wu Award for Excellence in Basic Research
This award recognizes USU faculty members and AFRRI scientists who, in the estimation of their peers, have made the most significant published scientific contribution to basic biomedical research during the past three years. Henry C. Wu was a professor in the Department of Microbiology and the second chair of the department. Dr. Wu was a staunch supporter of doctoral programs in the basic sciences and his enthusiasm for science inspired both colleagues and students. The recipient of the Wu award presents an Award Lecture during USU Research Week at the eponymous Symposium. The award includes a memento and $2,500.
- 2003 Ignacio Provencio, Ph.D.
- 2004 Michael Daly, Ph.D.
- 2005 Anthony Maurelli, Ph.D.
- 2006 Teresa Dunn, Ph.D.
- 2007 Chou-Zen Giam, Ph.D.
- 2008 Christopher Broder, Ph.D.
- 2009 Alison O'Brien, Ph.D.
- 2010 Ann Jerse, Ph.D.
- 2011 Sharon Juliano, Ph.D.
- 2012 Clifford Snapper, M.D.
- 2013 Galina Petukhova, Ph.D.
- 2014 (not awarded)
- 2015 Michael J. Daly, Ph.D.
- 2016 Brian C. Schaefer, Ph.D.
- 2017 Xin Xiang, Ph.D.
- 2018 David W. Scott, Ph.D.
The James J. Leonard Award for Excellence in Clinical Research
This award recognizes USU faculty members and AFRRI scientists who, in the estimation of their peers, have made the most significant published scientific contribution to translational/clinical research during the past three years. James J. Leonard was the founding chair of the Department of Medicine and was instrumental in establishing undergraduate clinical education at USU and graduate medical education programs at affiliated hospitals. Dr. Leonard's approach to medicine and his accessibility endeared him to students and colleagues. The recipient of the Leonard award presents an Award Lecture during USU Research Week at the eponymous Symposium. The award includes a memento and $2,500
- 2003 Andre DuBois, M.D. Ph.D.
- 2004 George Tsokos, M.D.
- 2005 Mark Haigney, M.D.
- 2006 Carol Fullerton, Ph.D.
- 2007 Shiv Srivastava, Ph.D.
- 2008 David Tribble, M.D. Dr. P.H.
- 2009 Thomas Darling, M.D. Ph.D.
- 2010 Marian Tanofsky-Kraff, Ph.D.
- 2011 Michael Feuerstein, Ph.D., MPH
- 2012 Diane Seibert, Ph.D., CNRP, FAANP
- 2012 Ann Scher, Ph.D.
- 2013 Michael Xydakis, M.D.
- 2014 Robert J. Ursano, M.D.
- 2015 Michael W. Ellis, M.D.
- 2016 Christopher C. Broder, Ph.D.
- 2017 Celia Byrne, Ph.D.
- 2018 Edward Mitre, M.D.
- 2018 Cade M. Nylund, M.D.
Innovation in Education Awards
The USU Faculty Senate established two awards in 2009 to recognize innovation in preclinical teaching and innovation in clinical teaching. These awards honor faculty who exceeded the standards of teaching to improve the student experience. Each award consists of a certificate and $2500 to be used for future educational innovation. Awardees are selected by the USU Faculty Senate Education Committee from nominations received from faculty. Awards are presented at the annual Education Day event.
Rosemary Borke, Ph.D.
James Smirniotopoulos, M.D.
Richard M. Conran, M.D., Ph.D.
Jeffrey L. Goodie, Ph.D.
Justin Woodson, M.D.
Joseph Lopreiato, M.D.
James Palma, M.D.
Lynn Byars, M.D.
Barbara Knollmann-Ritschel, M.D.
William F. Kelly, M.D.
Craig Goolsby, M.D.
Adam Saperstein. M.D.
Grant Lattin, M.D.
Matthew Eberly, M.D.
Mark Stephens, M.D.
Eric Meyer, M.D.
Laura Taylor, Ph.D.
Outstanding Staff Award
This award was initiated by the Faculty Senate in 2005 to recognize an exceptional staff member for outstanding faculty support to help USU excel in research, teaching, or patient care, and for maintaining the culture of collegiality and professionalism at USU. A wall plaque that is engraved with the names of the award recipients is displayed in the lobby of Building B. Nominees are solicited from the Faculty Assembly and the recipient is selected by the Faculty Senate. This award can be given annually.
- 2006 Mr. Stephen Brown, LRC
- 2007 Mr. George Holborow, MDL
- 2008 Dr. Joseph Czege, BIC
- 2009 Ms. Mary Kay Gibbons, OPD and Mr. George Harriss, MDL
- 2010 Mr. Gary Osier, LOG
- 2011 1LT Sean Baker, MS, USA, PATH
- 2012 Ms. Roberta McIntyre, OCR
- 2013 Ms. Lucille Washington, MIC
- 2014 Ms. Joan Stearman, ADM
- 2015 Ms. Maria Smith, PMB
- 2016 Ms. Patrice Mann, MEE
- 2017 Ms. NeTina Finley, GEO