The Department of Family Medicine is pleased to again offer a PG-3 elective starting in the fall of each Academic Year. Over the last 12 years, 49 outstanding residents have completed the rotation.
- Three to six resident scholars will be selected to participate in an interactive, individualized, multi-component curriculum in Faculty Development. The program is targeted at residents with a demonstrated interest and aptitude for teaching and pursuing an academic Family Medicine career in the military.
- The residents will be competitively selected, (one to two per branch of service), based on their application package. This package requires: (1)CV, (2)Personal Statement outlining interest in the program and teaching in Military Family Medicine, (3)Brief outline of proposed scholarly project and a (4)Residency Director Letter discussing the applicant's future faculty potential. The package should be sent to email@example.com
- If selected, the timing of the program will be coordinated with the resident and their Program Director. The deadline for package submission is COB on June 1st.
- USU will provide the curriculum, materials, education and time for each resident, but will not be able to provide funding. Costs and specific mechanisms for travel will be the responsibility of the resident’s local command. Program leadership will work with selected residents to assist with finding local housing through our student network as needed.
1. Small Group Teaching
- Instructional Strategies
- Co-facilitator of medical student small groups (Reflective Practice, Clinical Pathology, History/Physical Exam, Core Clerkship)
2. Clinical Precepting
- Ft. Belvoir Community Hospital Family Medicine Residency
3. Lecture Skills
- Preparation and Delivery
- Specific Audience Targeting
4. Learner Assessment & Feedback
- Assessing Learning Styles and Delivering Feedback
- Assessing Learners and Writing Educational Prescriptions at the USU Simulation Center
- Faculty Advisor
5. Academic Progression & Career Development
- Career Path in Academic Military Family Medicine
- “Alphabet Soup” of Academic Medicine
- Developing an Academic CV
- Beginning an Educator’s Portfolio
6. Scholarly Activity & Research