- The University Family Health Center (UFHC) is dedicated to providing comprehensive personal and family centered care to active duty students, faculty, their families and other DoD beneficiaries assigned to the Uniformed Services University (USU). The UFHC is a TRICARE PRIME clinic. All medical students are required to enroll with the UFHC as their primary care manager site. Active Duty Graduate Students and all Family members may enroll in Tricare Prime and be assigned a UFHC family physician as their primary care manager. DoD eligible patients not enrolled to Tricare Prime or enrolled to another Tricare Prime site may be seen on a same-day space available basis.
Patients are seen by appointment only, except in the event of an emergency. First and Second year medical students may request a "sick-call" appointment or quarters authorization by calling the clinic. If you are seen at a civilian facility, call the clinic within 24 hours to report this and obtain approval. If not life or limb threatening, call for approval first to avoid incurring the cost of the visit yourself. During the summer recess the clinic operates on a limited schedule. The clinic is closed on federal holidays and in weather emergencies when the school is closed.
Please tell the appointment clerk if you need more time than the routine 20-minute appointment. The UFHC maintains several appointments every day for those with acute illness that need to be seen on a same day basis. Call early in the day for a same day appointment. Active Duty have priority from 0715-0800. Other enrolled beneficiaries can schedule appointments after 0800. Nonenrolled or unassigned patients can try to schedule after 1000 on an "as available" basis.
Parking for the UFHC is available in the general parking areas of the USUHS parking deck. If the parking deck is full, you may park in the reserved spaces behind the security booth at the entrance to the garage. If there are no spaces available at that location then patients should check with the security office on the ground floor for parking instructions.
The UFHC is staffed and operated by the Department of Family Medicine with board-certified family physicians and is supported by a professional staff nurse, medical technicians, and administrative support staff. The medical experts at the clinic can manage the majority of your health care. If further expertise is required to diagnose or manage a condition, consultation with other specialists can be obtained at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center (WRNMMC) or other health care facilities in the National Capital Region.
The University Family Health Center offers full spectrum Family Medicine. Typical services provided by the UFHC include:
- General Physical Examinations and Immunizations
Military, retirement and insurance immunizations
- Well-Child Exams and Childhood Immunizations
Newborn and infant care
School and camp physicals
Child behavioral problems
- Women's Health Care Services
Prenatal care and routine delivery
Gynecological care (annual exams and Pap Smears)
- Military Specific Health Care Services
Quarters evaluation and authorization
- Minor Surgical Procedures
- Walk-in services
(Please note that these services are handled on a first come, first served basis. Priority is give to patients with an appointment)
Immunizations: 1000 -1200 and 1245 -1430,
Blood pressure checks: 0715-1600
- Integrated Behavioral Health Care
3rd Friday- Challenging Negative Thoughts
- Individual Behavioral Health Consultations (available for Dependents- including children as well as Active Duty)
- Dermatology Evaluations
- Allergy Evaluations
- Acute Illness Evaluation and Management
- Chronic Medical Disease Management
- Coordination of Consultative Care