Senior Enlisted Advisor
The Commandant of the USU Daniel K. Inouye Graduate School of Nursing is the senior military officer-in-charge of all brigade-assigned GSN students including service members in the Army, Air Force, Navy and Public Health Service. The commandant reports to the brigade commander for military issues and chain of command accountability and serves as the military advisor to the dean of the GSN. The mission of the GSN Commandant Team is to:
- Exercise military command and control of all brigade uniformed services students assigned within the GSN
- Direct service-specific mandated programs, physical fitness, weight control, urinalysis, officer professional development and equal opportunity
- Execute plans, programs and policies to ensure accomplishment of all USU brigade missions in compliance with directives of higher authority
- Model, stimulate and foster the qualities and attributes of professional leadership and officership
- Serve as the student resource for service-specific military career counseling, officer professional development and a facilitator for administrative requirements
The GSN Commandant holds the dual responsibility of serving as the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs. The assistant dean fosters educational and professional development of all assigned students, manages the administration of various student needs in cognitive and non-cognitive areas of growth; administers the student conduct process; coordinates career development programs; and oversees the academic performance of each student. The Assistant Dean for Student Affairs supervises the quality of student life and represents the student body to the university administration.