Application Form and Supporting Documents
Download the Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing Science Application Form, complete each section and mail it to the Registrar's Office in USU's Graduate School of Nursing by February 1.
- GSN Registrar Contact
- Send email ATTN: GSN
Admission into the USU Graduate School of Nursing is competitive. Each applicant must meet the general School requirements as well as the requirements for the individual program options they wish to pursue.
The admissions process takes into consideration all application materials when evaluating an applicant. It also reserves the right to require additional materials. Students who do not meet the minimum recommended requirements in all areas may be considered on an individual basis.
- Nurses from the uniformed services have priority for admissions. Nurses employed in federal agencies nominated and supported by their agency are also eligible for admission into the PhD program on a space available basis.
- Master's degree in nursing or related field at an accredited school with a minimum GPA of a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Current nursing license of eligibility for licensure in any of the 50 states and territories
- Current curriculum vitae
- Original Transcripts
- Arrange to have original transcripts sent from all post-secondary education institutions you attended
- Official evidence of scores on the Graduate Record Exam taken within five years of application
- Clear and succinct statement of the applicant's reason for PhD study and a match to faculty programs of research (Applicants may submit an essay, term paper, thesis, published article or professional report to demonstrate their ability to communicate logic and concepts)
- Computer literacy with proficiency in word processing, email and internet use
- Three letters of reference from professors or other professionals who can adequately evaluate the applicant's potential for success
- An interview with PhD faculty members to assess the applicant, link research interests with USU faculty expertise, intent and level of motivation for successful completion of PhD study