Department of Medicine Mission
The Department of Medicine supports the University and School of Medicine strategic framework in our shared goals of education and training, research and scholarship, and leadership and service.
Department of Medicine Vision and Values
· The Department works in unison with Walter Reed Army Medical Center to provide the best care, the best research and the best education for every patient, every day.
· We will bring a mission-based approach to success in all areas of work through rigorous analysis of available information; through the alignment of resources, methods, and assessments with goals; and above all, a sense of collaboration in which we try to understand all perspectives.
· In medical (health professional) education, we guide and assess the progress of learners towards independence, and how they are able to fulfill a promise of expertise and of duty, synthesizing their skills, knowledge and professionalism into success for each patient
· We seek to rigorously evaluate individuals and educational programs, and to build collaborations within the University and with national and international colleagues.
· The department supports health care and military readiness with a portfolio of basic and clinical research (with a prime focus on cardiology, and infectious diseases and immunology) as well as research on clinical reasoning, and healthcare delivery.
· The department is committed to academic excellence through effective faculty development programs, periodic faculty review and feedback, and strong support for academic advancement of our national faculty.
· Our faculty will be role models of a compassionate, dedicated caregivers and teachers, and innovative, ethical clinician-scientists.
· Our administrative staff will be models of collaboration and service, and to fulfill their own promises of duty and expertise.