The Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) accredits medical education programs leading to the M.D. degree in the United States or Canada. By judging the compliance of medical education programs with nationally accepted standards of educational quality, the LCME serves the interests of the general public and of the medical students enrolled in those programs.
To achieve and maintain accreditation, a medical education program must meet the standards reflected in the LCME "Functions and Structure of a Medical School." The accreditation process requires assurances that graduates exhibit general professional competencies that are appropriate for entry to the next stage of their training and that serve as the foundation for lifelong learning and proficient medical care.
The LCME regularly reviews the content of the standards and elements, and seeks feedback on their validity and clarity from its sponsor organizations and members of the medical education community.
Faculty Bulletins Pertaining to the Upcoming LCME Site Visit
- Update #1, LCME Overview - Sep 2014
- Update #2, Timeline & Overview of Self-Study Teams - Oct 2014
- Update #3, LCME Standards 1 and 2 - Nov 2014
- Update #4, LCME Standards 3 and 11 - Dec 2014
- Update #5, LCME Standards 4 and 9 - Jan 2015
- Update #6, LCME Standard 5 - Feb 2015
- Update #7, LCME Standard 6 - Mar 2015
- Update #8, LCME Standards 7 and 8 - Apr 2015
- Update #9, LCME Standards 10 and 12 - May 2015
- Update #10, Key Facets/LCME Standards 1 and 3 - Jul 2015
- Update #11, FAQ re LCME Standards 3, 4, 6, 7 and 12 - early Aug 2015
- Update #12, LCME Standards 6, 8 and 10: Admissions, SoM Goals and Objectives, Curriculum Mapping - late Aug 2015
- Update #13, LCME Element 7: Interprofessional Collaborative Skills - early Sep 2015
- Update #14, LCME Elements 1.3, 8.4 and 9.8: Faculty Participation, Program Evaluation, Fair & Timely Summative Assessment - late Sep 2015