Classroom

About the School of Medicine: Fact Sheet

Class of 2019

The F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine matriculated its 40th class with 2,997 applicants having competed for 171 positions. The applicant-to-position ratio was 18-to-1.

Two hundred and fifty-three conditional offers were tendered for the 2015 First-Year Class, providing an acceptance rate of 68 percent.

The incoming class is comprised of 64 women (37 percent) and 107 men (63 percent). Thirty-five percent of the applicant pool was female. The average age of the entrants at the time of application was 24.7 years.

Fifty-one members of the entering class are from minority groups, including 19 from the groups classified as underrepresented in U.S. medicine. The class includes nine Blacks, 29 Asian/Pacific Islanders, three Puerto Ricans, five Mexican Americans, two Hawaiians and three Other Hispanics.

Twenty-four of the incoming students are reapplicants to the School of Medicine.

Geographically, the student representation is as follows: the North is the legal residence of 27 percent of the class, 28 percent are from Southern states, 13 percent are from Central states and 32 percent are from the West.

Academically, the acceptees presented the following scores: at the time of application, their college cumulative grade point average was 3.62 and their science GPA was 3.55. The mean score of the acceptees on the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) was 31.4, compared to applicants' average score of 28.1. The MCAT consists of three sections: verbal reasoning, physical sciences and biological sciences.

All of the students have received baccalaureate degrees. Twenty-six hold master's degrees and two have been awarded doctorates. Biology was the most-represented undergraduate major of matriculates (26 percent), followed by chemistry at 10 percent and biochemistry at 9 percent. Other majors for the members of the Class of 2019 were: kinesiology, mathematics, neuroscience, philosophy, political science, engineering and visual arts. First Generation College: 28 (16 percent) students come from parents who did not complete a four year college degree.

 

One-hundred four students (61 percent) have had no previous military experience. The remaining sixty-seven students (39 percent) have been associated with the military in the following capacities: 10 were active duty officers, four had prior active duty as officers, 11 had prior active duty as enlisted personnel, 24 were 2015 service academy graduates, 16 were direct graduates of ROTC programs and two Reservists.