Alexander B. Galifianakis, MD
CDR MC(FS) USN
The Commandant of the USU School of Medicine (SOM) is the senior military officer-in-charge of all officers assigned as students to the F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine. With the support of the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Public Health Service Company Commanders, the Commandant exercises command and control over the medical and graduate students assigned to the University.
The mission of the Office of the Commandant is to provide military leadership, to teach and instill officership, and to support medical education and professional development so that each student achieves the goal of becoming a world class military physician.
The Commandant reports to the Brigade Commander for military issues and chain of command accountability and serves as the military advisor to the Dean of the SOM. Duties and responsibilities of the Commandant, SOM include:
- Deputy Brigade Commander
- Chairman, Board of Review of Inter-service Transfers
- Member, Student Promotions Committee
- Member, Student Award Committee
- Advisor to the Dean and Associate Dean for Student Affairs
- Provides student resources for Service-specific military career counseling and officer professional development
- Model, stimulate, and foster professional leadership and officership
- Directs Service-specific mandated programs such as physical fitness, weight control, urinalysis testing, officer professional development, and equal opportunity
- Serves as a facilitator for military administrative requirements