Alexander Rice, PhD
Alexander J Rice, PhD
Name: Alexander J Rice, PhD
Behavior change, military behavioral health, relationship intimacy, grief and loss.
Social class, psychological measurement, statistical methods.
M.A. Educational Measurement and Statistics, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, 2016
M.S. Applied Forensic Psychology, University of Leicester, United Kingdom, 2008
B.S. Psychology, Sussex University, United Kingdom 2005
He has conducted research in the areas of grief and loss, care-giving relationships, psychological measurement, social class, and program evaluation. His clinical training includes experiences with psychotherapy and neuropsychological assessment. Experiences providing counseling services to homeless veterans and at an outpatient VA clinic contributed to an interest in working with military service members and veterans.
He is also interested in statistical methods and consulting, and psychological measurement, which led to him completing a master’s degree in measurement and statistics. He has contributed to the development of a range of psychosocial measures.
- Garrison, Y., Rice, A., & Liu, W. M. (in press). The American Meritocracy Myth Stress Scale: Scale Development and Initial Validation. The Counseling Psychologist.
- Rice, A. , Garrison, Y., & Liu, W. M. (in press). Spending as Social and Affective Coping (SSAC): Measure Development and Initial Validation. The Counseling Psychologist .
- Rice, A. , Kim, J. Y. C., Nguyen, C., Liu, W.M., Fall, K., & Galligan, P. (2017). Perceptions of masculinity and fatherhood among men experiencing homelessness. Psychological Services 14(2), 257-268. doi: 10.1037/ser0000134
- Colbow, A. J., Cannella, E., Vispoel, W., Morris, C. A., Cederberg, C., Conrad, M., Rice, A. , & Liu, W. M. (2016). Development of the Classism Attitudinal Profile (CAP). Journal of Counseling Psychology , 63 (5), 571. doi: 10.1037/cou0000169
- Rice, A. , Colbow, A., Gibbons, S., Cederberg, C., Sahker, E. Wurster, K., & Liu, W. M. (2016). The social class worldview of first-generation college students. Counselling Psychology Quarterly, 30(4) , 415-440, doi:10.1080/09515070.2016.1179170
- Liu, W. M., Colbow, A., & Rice, A. (2015). Social Class and Masculinities. In S. Wester & J. Wong (Ed.), APA Handbook of the Psychology of Men and Masculinities . (Second authorship shared equally).
- Rice, A. (2015). Using scholarship on whistleblowing to inform peer ethics reporting. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 46 (4), 298. doi:10.1037/pro0000038
- Rice, A. (2015). Common therapeutic factors in bereavement groups. Death Studies, 39 (3), 165- 172. doi:10.1080/07481187.2014.946627
- Westefeld, J.S., Casper, D., Galligan, P., Gibbons, S., Lustgarten, S., Rice, A. , Rowe-Johnson, M., & Yeates, K. (2015). Suicide and older adults: Risk factors and recommendations. Journal of Loss and Trauma, 20(6), 491-508 . (Second authorship shared equally). doi:10.1080/15325024.2014.949154
- Rice, A. (2014). Incorporation of chance into career development theory and research. Journal of Career Development, 41, 445-463. doi:10.1177/0894845313507750