Alice Barsoumian, MD
Alice E Barsoumian, MD, Major, Air Force
Name: Alice E Barsoumian, MD, Major, Air Force
Antimicrobial Stewardship; Medical Education
General Infectious Disease
• Residency: Internal Medicine, SAUSHEC, San Antonio, TX: 2008- 2011
• Doctor of Medicine: University of California at Irvine, Irvine, CA: 2004- 2008
• Bachelor of Science, Biology: Summa Cum Laude, University Scholar of the Year, Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles, CA: August 2000- May 2004
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- Program Director, SAUSHEC Infectious Disease Fellowship, 2018- current
- Medical Director, Antimicrobial Stewardship Program, Brooke Army Medical Center, 2017- current
- Infectious Disease Clinic Officer in Charge, San Antonio Military Medical Center, 2014- 2017
- Associate Program Director, SAUSHEC Infectious Disease Fellowship Program, 2015- 2016
- Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Freedom’s Sentinel, Senior Physician Advisor, Medical Institutional Advisory Team, New Kabul Compund, Afghanistan, 2014-2015
- Barsoumian A, Calvano T, Markelz AE, Cassidy R, Murray CK, Beckius ML, Mende K, Akers KS. Variations of CHROMagar Acinetobacter to detect imipenem-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii-calcoaceticus complex. Scand J Infect Dis. 2013 Jun;45(6):446-52.
- Barsoumian A, Sanchez CJ, Mende K, Tully CC, Beckius ML, Akers KS, Wenke JC, Murray CK. In vitro toxicity and activity of Dakin’s solution, mafenide acetate, and amphotericin B on filamentous fungi and human cells. J Orthop Trauma. 2013 Aug; 27(8):428-36.
- Barsoumian AE, Mende K, Sanchez CJ Jr, Beckius ML, Wencke JC, Murray CK, Akers KS. Clinical infectious outcomes associated with biofilm-related bacterial infections: a retrospective chart review. BMC Infect Dis. 2015 Jun 7;15:223.
- Lee LE*, Barsoumian AE, Brown AW, Wiggins MA, Renshaw JS, Osswald MB, Murray CK. Rates of microbiolgoically diagnosed infection and pathogen detection in hematopoietic stem cell transplant patients. Mil Med. 2016 Nov:181(11):e1685-e1691.
- Barsoumian AE, Yun HC. Augmenting fellow education through spaced multiple choice questions. Mil Med. 2018 Jan: 183(1-2):e122-e126.
- Barsoumian AE, Hartzell JD, Bonura E, Ressner RA, Whitman TJ, Yun HC. Military internal medicine resident decision to apply to fellowship and extend military commitment. Epub ahead of print. https://doi.org/10.1093/milmed/usx091.
- Barsoumian AE, White BK, Yun HC. Teaching antimicrobial stewardship to infectious disease fellows through simulated interdisciplinary scenarios. MedEdPORTAL. 2018;14:10693.
- Luther VP, Shnekendorf R, Abbo LM, Advani S, Armstrong WS, Barsoumian AE, Beeler CB, Bystritsky R, Cherabuddi K, Cohen S, Hamilton KW, Ince D, Justo JA, Logan A, Lynch III JB, Nori P, Ohl CA, Patel PK, Pottinger PS, Schwartz BS, Stack C, Zhou Y. Antibiotic Stewardship Curriculum for Infectious Disease Fellows: Program Directors Identify a Curriculum Need. PROVISIONALLY ACCEPTED TO CLINICAL INFECTIOUS DISEASES.
- Barsoumian AE, Hartzell J, Bonura E, Ressner R, Whitman T, Yun HC. Factors Impacting Selection of Infectious Disease Training for Military Internal Medicine Residents. ACCEPTED TO CLINICAL INFECTIOUS DISEASES.