Amy Gavril, MD, MS
Amy R Gavril, MD, MS, Captain, Navy
Name: Amy R Gavril, MD, MS, Captain, Navy
MD, Boston University School Of Medicine
BA, Biology, Boston University
CAPT Gavril regularly lectures to multidisciplinary agencies including physicians, residents, interns, medical students, nurses, and other allied health professionals, lawyers, social workers, criminal investigators, dentists, chaplains, victim advocates, and line officers. She interviews and examines children who are suspected to have been maltreated world-wide throughout the DoD. CAPT Gavril serves as a consultant to social services, medical, legal, and investigative agencies within the DoD, DoS, and the civilian community for cases of suspected child maltreatment, including medical-legal case reviews, expert consultation and testimony, training, and education. She regularly testifies as an expert witness in criminal cases and military courts-martial. CAPT Gavril has multiple publications on child maltreatment in internationally known medical journals and publishers such as Pediatrics, American Academy of Pediatrics, Child Abuse and Neglect, and British Medical Journal. Currently, CAPT Gavril is an Executive Committee Member, Council for Child Abuse and Neglect, within the American Academy of Pediatrics where she works on developing policy, clinical reports, and clinical guidelines for the American Academy of Pediatrics and is Editor-in-Chief of the AAP Council for Child Abuse and Neglect Newsletter.
Dr. Gavril is a native of New Hampshire. She lives in Maryland with her husband and two children.
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- Director of Education And Training, Armed Forces Center For Child Protection
- Executive Committee Member, American Academy of Pediatrics, Council on Child Abuse and Neglect
- Admissions Committee Member, Uniformed Services School of Medicine, Bethesda MD
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Council on Child Abuse and Neglect, Policy Commitee
- Chief, Pediatrics Department, Ft Belvoir Community Hospital, VA
- Fellowship, Child Abuse Pediatrics, U. Texas Health Science Center San Antonio
- Department Head, Pediatrics, US Naval Hospital Naples, Italy
- Division Officer, Pediatric Ambulatory Care Clinic, Portsmouth Naval Medical Center, VA
- Medical Officer, II Marine Expeditionary Force, 2nd Force Service Group, Bravo Surgical Company, Iraq
- Lukefahr JL, Kellogg ND, Anderst JD, Gavril AR, Wehner KK. Pediatric Response to a Large Scale Child Protection Intervention. Journal of Child Abuse and Neglect. 2011;35(8);574.
- Gavril AR, Kellogg ND and Nair PV. The Impact of Follow Up Examinations of Children and Adolescents Evaluated for Sexual Abuse and Assault. Pediatrics 2012;129;282.
- Abdominal and Thoracic Injuries. Visual Diagnosis of Child Abuse 4th edition. Ed. J Anderst, AAP Publishing 2016.
- Gavril AR. “Child Abuse.” British Medical Journal Point of Care. Ed. Alan Thomas. 2018-02-07. Epocrates Inc. and BMJ Publishing Group LTD. https://online.epocrates.com/u/2911846/Child+abuse
- Crawford-Jakubiak JE, Alderman EM, Leventhal JM, AAP COMMITTEE ON CHILD ABUSE AND NEGLECT, AAP COMMITTEE ON ADOLESCENCE. Care of the Adolescent After an Acute Sexual Assault. Pediatrics. 2017;139(3)
- Sege RD, Amaya-Jackson L, AAP AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS Committee on Child Abuse and Neglect, Councilon Foster Care, Adoption, and Kinship Care; AMERICAN ACADEMY OF CHILD AND ADOLESCENT PSYCHIATRY Committee on Child Maltreatment and Violence; NATIONAL CENTER FOR CHILD TRAUMATIC STRESS. Clinical Considerations Related to the Behavioral Manifestations of Child Maltreatment.Pediatrics. 2017;139(4)
- Fisher-Owens SA, Lukefahr JL, Tate AR, AAP AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS, SECTION ON ORAL HEALTH COMMITTEE ON CHILD ABUSE AND NEGLECT, AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRIC DENTISTRY, COUNCIL ON CLINICAL AFFAIRS, COUNCIL ON SCIENTIFIC AFFAIRS, AD HOC WORK GROUP ON CHILD ABUSE AND NEGLECT. Oral and Dental Aspects of Child Abuse and Neglect. Pediatrics. 2017;140(2)
- Weise KL, Okun AL, Carter BS, Christian CW, COMMITTEE ON BIOETHICS, SECTION ON HOSPICE AND PALLIATIVE MEDICINE, COMMITTEE ON CHILD ABUSE AND NEGLECT. Guidance on Forgoing Life-Sustaining Medical Treatment. Pediatrics. 2017;140(3)
- Duffee JH, Mendelsohn AL, Kuo AA, Legano LA, Earls MF, COUNCIL ON COMMUNITY PEDIATRICS, COUNCIL ON EARLY CHILDHOOD, COMMITTEE ON CHILD ABUSE AND NEGLECT. Early Childhood Home Visiting. Pediatrics. 2017;140(3)
- Greenbaum J, Bodrick N, AAP COMMITTEE ON CHILD ABUSE AND NEGLECT, AAP SECTION ON INTERNATIONAL CHILD HEALTH. Global Human Trafficking and Child Victimization. Pediatrics. 2017;140(6)