Barbara Knollmann-Ritschel, M.D.
Barbara E.C. Knollmann-Ritschel, M.D., Captain, Navy
Name: Barbara E.C. Knollmann-Ritschel, M.D., Captain, Navy
Viral countermeasures, TBI, and radioprotection
Medical School: 1988-1993 Doctor of Medicine University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio
Internship: 1993-1994 Transitional Internship National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland
Residency: 1994-1998 Pathology: Anatomic Pathology/Clinical Pathology National Capitol Consortium/ USUHS, Bethesda, Maryland
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- 2013-Present Professor, Department of Pathology, Secondary Appointment: Professor, Emerging Infectious Disease
- 2011-Present Staff Pathologist, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center Bethesda, MD
- 2016 Association of Pathology Chairs, Undergraduate Medical Education Council: Chair-Elect
- 2017 Carol John’s Medal recipient
- 2014 Faculty Development Certificate of Advanced Expertise in Medical Education
- 2013 Innovation in Education, Award Winner
- 2012 F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine Annual Faculty Teaching Award
- 2012 Alpha Omega Alpha, Member
- 2016 Associate Editor for the journal Academic Pathology
- 2011-2014 Module Director for Fundamentals Module and Council of Module Directors, Member: Integrated the basic sciences and clinical sciences in the first module of the new (2011) curriculum and designed the assessment, remediation, and laboratory integration for the curriculum.
- Knollmann-Ritschel, B., Regula, D, Borowitz, M., Conran, R., Prystowsky, M.; Pathology Competencies for Medical Education and Educational Cases. Academic Pathology, Vol 4
- Paridhi Gupta, Anuj Sharma, Jing Barbara Knollmann-Ritschel, Raj K Puri and Radha K Maheshwari. Differential host gene responses from infection with neurovirulent and partially-neurovirulent Han, Amy Yang, Manish Bhomia, strains of Venezuelan equine encephalitis virus. MAR 72017 BMJ INFD-D-16-00222R1
- Gayen, M., Gupta, P., Morazzani, E., Gaidaakova, E, Knollmann- Ritschel, B., Daly, M., Glass, P., Maheshwari, R. Dienococcus Mn2+ Peptide Complex: A Noval Approach to Alphavirus Vaccine Development. Vaccine Ms. Ref. No.: JVAC-D-16-01956
- Kiang, J., Smith, J., Anderson, M., Elliott, T., Gupta, P., Balakathiresan, N., Maheshwari, R., Knollmann-Ritschel, B.; Hemorrhage Enhances Cytokine, Complement Component 3, and Caspas-3, and Regulates MiRNAs Associated with Intestinal Damage after Whole-body Gamma-Irradiation. PLoS ONE, Vol 12(9): e0184393
- Knollmann-Ritschel, B, Suarez, E, Gilliland, W, Pock, A. Pathology Course Director Perspectives of a Recent LCME Experience: Preparation in an Integrated Curriculum with the Revised Standards, Academic Pathology, Jan 2017, Vol 4:1-7 DOI:10.1177/2374289516687070
- Raghavendar Chandran, Sharma, A., Bhomia, M., Balakathiresan, N., Knollmann-Ritschel, BE., Maheshwari, R.: Differential Expression of MicroRNAs in the Brains of Mice Subjected to Increasing Grade of Mild Traumatic Brain Injury, Brain Injury 2017, 31-1: 106-119 DOI: 10.1080/02699052.2016.1213420
- Gupta P, Gayen M, Smith JT, Gaidamakova EK, Matrosova VY, Grichenko O, Knollmann-Ritschel B, Daly MJ, Kiang JG, Maheshwari RK.MDP: A Dienococcus Mn2+ Decapeptide Complex Protects Mice from Ionizing Radiation. PLoS One. 2016 Aug 8;11(8):e0160575. doi: 10.1371
- Knollmann-Ritschel, B., Durning, S.; Using Concept Maps in a Modified Team-Based Learning Exercise; AMSUS March 2014, Special Edition
- Sadofsky, M., Knollmann-Ritschel, B., Conran, R., Prystowsky, M.; National Standards in Pathology Education: Developing Competencies for Integrated Medical School Curricula; Arch Path Lab Med, Vol 138, Mar 2014: 328-332.
- Chopra, N., Yang, T., Asghari, P., Moore, E., Huke, S., Akin, B., Cattolica, R., Perez, CF., Hlaing, T., Knollmann-Ritschel, B., Jones, L., Pessah, I., Allen, P., Franzini-Armstrong, C., Knollmann, B., Ablation of triadi causes loss of cardic Ca2+ release units, impaired excitation-contraction coupling, and cardiac arrhythmias. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009 May 5;106(18):7636-41.