Brian Schaefer, Ph.D.
Brian C. Schaefer, Ph.D.
Name: Brian C. Schaefer, Ph.D.
Immunology, Host Defenses
Cell Mechanisms of Disease, Cell Injury and Repair
B.S. in Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, 1989
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- Uniformed Services University Biomedical Instrumentation Center (BIC) Faculty Advisory Committee – Chair, 2009 - present
- National Institutes of Health CMIB (Cell and Molecular Immunology-B) study section, ad hoc member, 2011 - current
- Frontiers in Cell and Developmental Biology Cell Death and Survival Section, Editorial Board, 2013 - current
- Traver M, Paul S and Schaefer BC. T cell receptor activation of NF-κB in effector T cells: visualizing signaling events within and beyond the cytoplasmic domain of the immunological synapse. The Immune Synapse: Methods and Protocols, Methods in Molecular Biology, Cosima T. Baldari and Michael L. Dustin (ed.), 2017; 1584:101- 127.
- Lagraoui M, Sukumar G, Latoche JR, Maynard S, Dalgard CL, and Schaefer BC. Salsalate treatment following traumatic brain injury reduces inflammation and promotes a neuroprotective and neurogenic transcriptional response with concomitant functional recovery. Brain, Behavior and Immunity, 2017; 61:96-109.
- Paul S and Schaefer BC. Visualizing TCR-Induced POLKADOTS Formation and NF-κB Activation in the D10 T-Cell Clone and Mouse Primary Effector T Cells. NF-κB: Methods and Protocols, Methods in Molecular Biology, Michael J. May (ed.), 2015; 1280:219- 38.
- Paul S, Traver MK, Kashyap AK, Washington MA, Latoche JR, and Schaefer BC. T cell receptor signals to NF-kappaB are transmitted by a cytosolic p62-Bcl10-Malt1-IKK signalosome. Science Signaling. 2014; 7:ra45.
- Paul S, Kashyap AK, Jia W, He Y-W, Schaefer BC. Selective autophagy of the adaptor protein Bcl10 modulates T cell receptor activation of NF-kappaB. Immunity. 2012; 36:947-58.
- Lagraoui M, Latoche JR, Cartwright NG, Sukumar G, Dalgard CL, Schaefer BC. Controlled cortical impact and craniotomy induce strikingly similar profiles of inflammatory gene expression, but with distinct kinetics. Front Neurol. 2012; 3:155.
- Kingeter LM, Paul S, Maynard SK, Cartwright NG, and Schaefer BC. Cutting Edge: T cell receptor ligation triggers digital activation of NF-kappaB. J. Immunol. 2010; 185:4520-4.
- Langel FD, Jain NA, Rossman JS, Kingeter LM, Kashyap AK, and Schaefer BC. Multiple protein domains mediate interaction between Bcl10 and Malt1. J. Biol. Chem. 2008; 283: 32419-31.
- Kingeter LM and Schaefer BC. Loss of PKCθ, Bcl10, or Malt1 selectively impairs proliferation and NF-κB activation in the CD4+ T cell subset. J. Immunol. 2008; 181:6244-54.
- Rossman JS, Stoicheva NG, Langel FD, Patterson GH, Lippincott-Schwartz J, and Schaefer BC. POLKADOTS are foci of functional interactions between cytosolic intermediates in T cell receptor-induced activation of NF-kappaB. Mol. Biol. Cell 2006; 17:2166-76.