Candy Wilson, PhD
Candy Wilson, PhD, Colonel, Air Force
Name: Candy Wilson, PhD, Colonel, Air Force
Sex and Gender Differences
Doctor of Philosophy (2006)
University of Colorado at Denver Health Sciences Center
Denver, CO/ Nursing Science
Master of Science (2000)
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville, TN / Maternal and Child Nursing
Bachelor’s of Science (1992)
Western Kentucky University
Bowling Green, KY/ Nursing
Associate of Arts (1989)
Okaloosa-Walton Community College
Niceville, FL/ General Studies
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- Wilson, C. (2012). Caring for Military Women and Military Families as a Nation at War. JOGNN. 41, 281-282. Guest Editor.
- Wilson, C., Nelson, JP (2012). Exploring the Patterns, Practices and Experiences of Deployed Military Women who Managed Genitourinary Symptoms. JOGNN, 41, 293-302. Invited Author
- Wilson, C., McClung, J.P., Karl, J. & Brothers, M.D. (2011). Iron status of military personnel of deployed to Afghanistan. Military Medicine, 176. 1421-1425.
- Wilson, C. (2011). Uterine Fibroids: Clinical and surgical management. ADVANCE for NPs and PAs. Invited Author.
- Wilson, C. (2011). A ‘boots on the ground’ perspective of caring for the women and children in Afghanistan. JOGNN, 40, 255-261.
- Wilson, C. & Brothers, M. (2010). Iron deficiency in Women and Its Potential Impact on Military Effectiveness. Nursing Clinics of North America, 45, 95-108.
- Trego, L., Wilson, C., Steele, N. (2010). A Call to Action for Evidence-based Military Women’s Healthcare: Developing a Women’s Health Research Agenda that Addresses Sex and Gender in Health and Illness. Biologic Research in Nursing, 12, 171-177.
- Wilson, C. (2009). Sex Differences in Gallbladder Cancer: Late Diagnosis Leads to Poor Prognosis. ADVANCE for Nurse Practitioners. Invited Author
- Veverka, D., Wilson, C., Martinez, M., Wenger, R., & Tamosuinas, A. (2009). Use of Zinc Supplements to Reduce Upper Respiratory Infections in United States Air Force Academy Cadets. Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice, 15, 91-95.
- Wilson, C. (2009). The Sex Differences with Inflammatory Bowel Disease. ADVANCE for Nurse Practitioners. Invited Author.
- Potter, M, & Wilson C. (2017). Applying Bureaucratic Caring Theory and the Chronic Care Model to improve staff and patient self-efficacy. Nursing Administration Quarterly, 41, 310-320.
- Wilson, C., Corrigan, R, & Braun, L. (2017). Deployed Women's Illness Behaviors While Managing Genitourinary Symptoms: An Exploratory Theoretical Synthesis of Two Qualitative Studies, Nursing Outlook, , S17-S25.
- Coughlin SS, Thind H, Liu B, Wilson C. (2016). Towards research-tested smartphone applications for preventing breast cancer. mHealth 2:26.
- Wilson, C., Corrigan, R, Reese, S, Almonte, A, Simpson, D, & Wilson, A. (2016). Military Medics Insight into Providing Women’s Health Services in Austere Settings. Military Medicine, 181, e1608-e1614.
- Niemtzow RC, Burns SM, Piazza TR, Pock AR, Walter J, Petri R, Hofmann L, Wilson C, Drake D, Calabria K, Biery J, Baxter JS., Gallagher RM., and Jonas WB. Integrative Medicine in the Department of Defense and the Department of Veterans Affairs: Cautious Steps Forward. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. March 2016, 22(3): 171-173. doi:10.1089/acm.2016.29002.rcn.
- Braun, L, Kennedy, H, Sadler, L, Dixon, J, Womack, J, & Wilson, C. (2016). U.S. Navy Women’s Experience of an Abnormal Cervical Cancer Screen. Journal of Midwifery and Women’s Health, 61, 249-256.
- Koda, E, Wilson, C. & Gordan, D. (2016). Case Report: Intercostal Injury-Related Atelectasis Treated with Auricular Acupuncture. American Family Physician, 65, E1-E3.
- Braun, L, Kennedy, HP, Womack, J, & Wilson, C. (2016). Integrative Literature Review: U.S. Military Women’s Genitourinary and Reproductive Health. Military Medicine, 181, 35-41
- Wilson, C., Trego, LL, Rychnovsky, J, Steele, N, & Foradori, M. (2015). Creating and Sustaining a Military Women’s Health Research Interest Group. AMEDD Journal, Apr-Jun edition.
- Williams, R.A., Gatien, G., Hagerty, B.M., Kane, M., Otto, L., Wilson, C, & Throop, M. (2012). Addressing Psychological Care Using an Interactive Web Site for Combat-Wounded Patients. Perspectives in Psychiatric Care, 1-10.