Catherine Witkop, MD, MPH
Catherine Takacs Witkop, MD, MPH, Colonel, Air Force
Name: Catherine Takacs Witkop, MD, MPH, Colonel, Air Force
Shared decision making and person-centered care
B.S. in Biology, 1993
Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
David Grant Medical Center, Travis AFB, CA
Residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology, 2001
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
MPH, Certificate in Health Finance and Management, 2007
Residency in General Preventive Medicine, 2008
Col Witkop graduated from Yale University with a BS in Biology before entering the Air Force under the Health Professions Scholarship Program and earning her MD at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. She completed a residency in Ob/Gyn at Travis AFB, CA, and served as an Attending Physician at Malcolm Grow Medical Center, Andrews AFB, MD, from 2001-2006. She then completed her MPH and Residency in Preventive Medicine at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
As Chief of Trainee Health at the U.S. Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs from 2008-12, Col Witkop provided oversight for monitoring the health of over four thousand cadets annually and led the implementation of preventive medicine programs and mitigation of population-based medical conditions. From 2012-15, she served as Chief of Preventive Medicine at the Air Force Medical Support Agency (AFMSA). In that capacity, she advised the Air Force Surgeon General on preventive medicine issues and oversaw the development of preventive medicine policy for execution at all Military Treatment Facilities supporting Active Duty, Air Force Reserve and Air National Guard personnel. While at AFMSA, Col Witkop was one of the Air Force leads for the Quality Team for the SECDEF-directed 2014 Military Health System Review of Quality, Safety, and Access.
Col Witkop is board certified and remains clinically active in Preventive Medicine and Ob/Gyn. Dr. Witkop has served on several editorial boards including the journal, Obstetrics & Gynecology, currently serves on the Implementation Steering Committee for the American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists (ACOG) Women’s Preventive Services Initiative (WPSI), and is Vice-Chair of ACOG’s Gynecologic Practice Committee.
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- Interim Chair, Department of Preventive Medicine and Biostatistics, 2016-17
- Randall LM, Pothuri B, Swisher EM, Diaz JP, Buchanan A, Witkop CT, Bethan Powell C, Smith EB, Robson ME, Boyd J, Coleman RL, Lu K. Multi-disciplinary summit on genetics services for women with gynecologic cancers: A Society of Gynecologic Oncology White Paper. Gynecol Oncol. 2017 Aug;146(2): 217-224. PMID 28596016
- Ranjit A, Jiang W, Zhan T, Kimsey L, Staat B, Witkop CT, Little SE, Haider AH, Robinson JN. Intrapartum obstetric care in the United States military: comparison of military and civilian care systems within TRICARE. Birth 2017; Epub ahead of print; doi:10.1111/birt.12298. PMID 28833512
- Witkop CT, Webber BJ, Chu K, Clark LL. Contraceptive prescriptions for US servicewomen, 2008-2013. Contraception. 2017 Jul;96(1): 47-53. PMID 28578145
- Duncan JR, Witkop CT, Webber BJ, Costello AA. Varicella seroepidemiology in United States Air Force recruits: a retrospective cohort study comparing immunogenicity of varicella vaccination and natural infection. Vaccine. 2017 Apr 25; 35(18):2351-2357. PMID 28359621
- Webber, BJ, Witkop CT. Screening for sickle-cell trait at accession to the United States military. Mil Med. 2014 Nov;179(11): 1184-9. PMID 25373039
- Witkop CT: Evaluation of medical journal websites. Clin Obstet Gyn. 2013 Sep;56(3): 485-494. PMID 23722917
- Witkop C, Duffy M, Fishbein D, Selent M. Assessment of ESSENCE performance for influenza-like illness surveillance after an influenza outbreak --- U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado, 2009. MMWR April 8, 2011; 60(13); 406-409.
- Witkop CT and Warren MP. Understanding the spectrum of the female athlete triad. Obstet Gynecol 2010 Dec;116(6): 1444-8. PMID 21099615.
- Witkop CT, Duffy MR, Macias EA, Gibbons TF, Escobar JD, Knight KK. Novel Influenza A (H1N1) Outbreak at the U.S. Air Force Academy: Epidemiology and Viral Shedding Duration. Am J Prev Med 2010;38(2): 121-126.
- Witkop CT, Neale D, Wilson LM, Bass EB, Nicholson WK. Active compared with expectant delivery management in women with gestational diabetes: a systematic review. Obstet Gynecol. 2009 Jan;113(1): 206-17.