Christopher Jonas, DO, FAAFP
Christopher E. Jonas, DO, FAAFP, Lieutenant Colonel, Air Force
Name: Christopher E. Jonas, DO, FAAFP, Lieutenant Colonel, Air Force
Operational Medicine/Military Readiness
Ricks College - Rexburg, Idaho, 1997
Bachelor of Science (B.S.) (Major:Psychology; Minor: Chemistry) - Summa Cum Laude Graduate
Southern Utah University - Cedar City, Utah, 1999
Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.)
Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine - Kirksville, Missouri, 2004
Residency in Family Medicine
Scott Air Force Base/St. Louis University - Belleville, IL, 2004-2007
Faculty Development Fellowship
Michigan State University - East Lansing, Michigan, 2007-2008
Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship
Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences - Bethesda, Maryland, 2011-2012
Air War College Distance Course
Air University - 2016
Dr. Jonas has fulfilled several roles as a member of the US Air Force Medical Corps. Prior to arriving at USUHS, he was a Physician for the White House Medicine Unit (WHMU) in Washington DC from 2012-2016, where he was also WHMU Deputy Director and Chief of Clinical & Executive Medicine Services. Prior to entering the White House Medical Unit, Dr. Jonas completed his Sports Medicine Fellowship that included significant amounts of time at the US Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland. Dr. Jonas served 4 years as a member of the faculty at the Eglin Air Force Base Family Medicine Residency in Florida. He deployed to Kirkuk, Iraq in support of Operation Enduring Freedom and has completed Air War College Distance Learning course through Air University.
Dr. Jonas is a Fellow in the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) and Diplomate of the American Board of Family Medicine (ABFM). He has served as a member of the Board of Directors of the Uniformed Services Academy of Family Physicians (USAFP) from 2012-2015 and Vice President of that organization from 2017-2018. He was recently elected President of USAFP to begin tenure in 2019.
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- Bunt C, Jonas C, Chang J. (2018) Knee Pain in Adults and Adolescents: The Initial Evaluation. Am Fam Physician. Nov 1;98(9):576-585.
- Jonas C. Cimino, F, Hulsopple, C. (2018) Procalcitonin to Guide Antibiotic Therapy in Acute Respiratory Infections. Am Fam Physician. Jul 1;98(1):20-21.
- Jonas C. (2018) Musculoskeletal Therapies: Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment. FP Essent. Jul;470:11-15.
- Nguyen D, Jonas C, Will J. (2018) Effect of Pacifier Use on Duration of Breastfeeding. Am Fam Physician. Mar 1;97(5):311-312.
- Servey JT, Jonas C. (2018) Plantar Fascia Rupture: Ultrasound to Facilitate Recognition. J Am Board Fam Med. Mar-Apr;31(2):282-285.
- Peebles R, Jonas C. (2018) Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction in the Athlete: Diagnosis and Management. Curr Sports Med Rep. 16(5), 336-342.
- Hulsopple C, Deluca J, Jonas C. (2018) Treatment of Acute Carpal Bone Fractures. Curr Sports Med Rep. 16(5), 330-335.
- Jonas C, Oriscello R. (2016) Ethical Considerations for the Sports Medicine Provider. In Musculoskeletal and Sports Medicine for the Primary Care Practitioner 4th ed. (pp. 31-36). Boca Raton, FL. CRC Press.
- Honeycutt J, Jonas C, Smith R. (2014) FPIN's Clinical Inquiries: Treatment of Jellyfish Envenomation. Am Fam Physician. 15;89(10). Online
- Jonas C. (2009) Surges: Commentary on Deployment Medical Practice. Mil Med. 74(6),2.
- Multi-Systems Module Co-Director
- B3 Telehealth Course Director
- Progress Notes Literary Journal - Editor in Chief