Christopher Jonas, DO, FAAFP
Christopher E. Jonas, DO, FAAFP, Lieutenant Colonel, Air Force
Name: Christopher E. Jonas, DO, FAAFP, Lieutenant Colonel, Air Force
Family Medicine; Telehealth; Operational Medicine
Ricks College - Rexburg, Idaho, 1997
Bachelor of Science (B.S.) (Major:Psychology; Minor: Chemistry) - Summa Cum Laude
Southern Utah University - Cedar City, Utah, 1999
Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.)
Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine - Kirksville, Missouri, 2004
Residency in Family Medicine
Scott Air Force Base/St. Louis University - Belleville, IL, 2004-2007
Faculty Development Fellowship
Michigan State University - East Lansing, Michigan, 2007-2008
Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship
Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences - Bethesda, Maryland, 2011-2012
Air War College (By Seminar)
Air University - 2016
Dr. Jonas has fulfilled several roles in the US Air Force Medical Corps. Prior to arriving at USUHS, he was a physician for the White House Medicine Unit (WHMU) in Washington DC from 2012-2016, where he was also a WHMU Deputy Director and Chief of Clinical & Executive Medicine Services. Prior to entering the White House Medical Unit, Dr. Jonas completed his Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship, including significant amounts of time at the US Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland. Dr. Jonas spent 4 years as a faculty member at Eglin Air Force Base Family Medicine Residency in Florida, where he was a clerkship and rotation site coordinator. He deployed to Kirkuk, Iraq in support of Operation Enduring Freedom and completed Air War College via correspondence through Air University.
Dr. Jonas is a Fellow in the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) and Diplomate of the American Board of Family Medicine (ABFM). He was elected and subsequently served as a member of the Board of Directors of the Uniformed Services Academy of Family Physicians (USAFP) from 2012-2015 and Vice President of that organization from 2017-2018. He was elected President of USAFP and installed to this position in March 2019. He has been an Alternate Delegate and Delegate to the AAFP Congress of Delegates, the policy making body for the nation’s largest medical specialty organization.
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- Jonas CE, Durning SJ, Zebrowski C, Cimino F. (2019) An Interdisciplinary, Multi-Institution Telehealth Course for Third-Year Medical Students. Acad Med. [Epub ahead of print] doi: 10.1097/ACM.0000000000002701
- Bunt C, Jonas CE, Chang J. (2018) Knee Pain in Adults and Adolescents: The Initial Evaluation. Am Fam Physician. Nov 1;98(9):576-585.
- Jonas CE. Cimino, F, Hulsopple, C. (2018) Procalcitonin to Guide Antibiotic Therapy in Acute Respiratory Infections. Am Fam Physician. Jul 1;98(1):20-21.
- Jonas CE. (2018) Musculoskeletal Therapies: Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment. FP Essent. Jul;470:11-15.
- Nguyen D, Jonas CE, Will J. (2018) Effect of Pacifier Use on Duration of Breastfeeding. Am Fam Physician. Mar 1;97(5):311-312.
- Servey JT, Jonas CE. (2018) Plantar Fascia Rupture: Ultrasound to Facilitate Recognition. J Am Board Fam Med. Mar-Apr;31(2):282-285.
- Peebles R, Jonas CE. (2017) Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction in the Athlete: Diagnosis and Management. Curr Sports Med Rep. 16(5), 336-342.
- Jonas CE, Oriscello R. (2016) Ethical Considerations for the Sports Medicine Provider. In Musculoskeletal and Sports Medicine for the Primary Care Practitioner 4th ed. (pp. 31-36). Boca Raton, FL. CRC Press.
- Honeycutt J, Jonas CE, Smith R. (2014) FPIN's Clinical Inquiries: Treatment of Jellyfish Envenomation. Am Fam Physician. 15;89(10). Online
- Jonas CE. (2009) Surges: Deployment Medicine Commentary. Mil Med 74(6):2.
- Academic Medicine - Article Reviewer
- Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine - Article reviewer
- Uniformed Services Academy of Family Physicians Journal - Editor (2017-2018)
- USAFP Annual Conference 2011 - Program Co-Chair