Christopher Jonas, DO, FAAFP, CAQSM
Christopher E. Jonas, DO, FAAFP, CAQSM, Lieutenant Colonel, Air Force
Name: Christopher E. Jonas, DO, FAAFP, CAQSM, Lieutenant Colonel, Air Force
Ricks College - Rexburg, Idaho, 1997
Bachelor of Science (B.S.) (Major:Psychology; Minor: Chemistry) - Summa Cum Laude
Southern Utah University - Cedar City, Utah, 1999
Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.)
Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine - Kirksville, Missouri, 2004
Residency in Family Medicine
Scott Air Force Base/St. Louis University - Belleville, IL, 2004-2007
Faculty Development Fellowship
Michigan State University - East Lansing, Michigan, 2007-2008
Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship
Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences - Bethesda, Maryland, 2011-2012
Air War College (By Seminar)
Air University - 2016
Dr. Jonas has fulfilled several roles for the US Air Force Medical Corps. Prior to beginning service at DHHQ, Dr. Jonas served as USU Family Medicine core faculty from June 2016 until June 2020, including service as Multi-Systems Module co-director. From 2012-2016, he was a physician for the White House Medical Unit (WHMU) in Washington DC where he also served as WHMU Deputy Director as well as Chief of Clinical & Executive Medicine Services. Prior to serving in the White House Medical Unit, Dr. Jonas completed a Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship, including significant amounts of time at the US Naval Academy. Dr. Jonas spent 4 years as faculty member at Eglin Air Force Base Family Medicine Residency where he was a rotation site coordinator. He deployed to Iraq in support of Operation Enduring Freedom and completed Air War College via correspondence through Air University.
Dr. Jonas is a Fellow in the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP), Diplomate of the American Board of Family Medicine (ABFM) and holds a Certificate of Added Qualifications in Sports Medicine (CAQSM). He has served as Uniformed Services Academy of Family Physicians (USAFP) President, Vice President, Board of Directors member and program co-chair. He has been Alternate Delegate and Delegate to the AAFP Congress of Delegates.
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- Arnold MJ, Jonas CE, Barney RE. (2020) Point of Care Ultrasound in Primary Care. Am Fam Physician. 2020 Mar 1;101(5):275-285.
- Jonas CE, Leggit JC. (2019) Sports Medicine: Preparticipation Cardiovascular Screening and Evaluation of Adults. FP Essent. Jul;482:20-22.
- Arnold M, Cooperstein N, Jonas CE. (2019) Anticoagulation for the Long-term Treatment of VTE in Patients with Cancer. Am Fam Physician. Jun 1;99(11):676-677.
- Lax J, Wood, R, Jonas CE. (2019) Direct Oral Anticoagulants vs. Warfarin to Prevent Stroke and Embolic Events in Patients with Atrial Fibrillation and CKD. Am Fam Physician. Apr 1;99(7):422-423.
- Jonas CE, Durning SJ, Zebrowski C, Cimino F. (2019) An Interdisciplinary, Multi-Institution Telehealth Course for Third-Year Medical Students. Acad Med. Jun;94(6):833-837.
- Bunt C, Jonas CE, Chang J. (2018) Knee Pain in Adults and Adolescents: The Initial Evaluation. Am Fam Physician. Nov 1;98(9):576-585.
- Jonas CE. Cimino, F, Hulsopple, C. (2018) Procalcitonin to Guide Antibiotic Therapy in Acute Respiratory Infections. Am Fam Physician. Jul 1;98(1):20-21.
- Jonas CE. (2018) Musculoskeletal Therapies: Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment. FP Essent. Jul;470:11-15.
- Nguyen D, Jonas CE, Will J. (2018) Effect of Pacifier Use on Duration of Breastfeeding. Am Fam Physician. Mar 1;97(5):311-312.
- Servey JT, Jonas CE. (2018) Plantar Fascia Rupture: Ultrasound to Facilitate Recognition. J Am Board Fam Med. Mar-Apr;31(2):282-285.