Clifford Snapper, M.D.
Clifford M. Snapper, M.D.
Name: Clifford M. Snapper, M.D.
Basic and Translational Immunology
M.D. Albany Medical College (Union University, Albany, New York, 1981
Intern, Internal Medicine, Albany Medical Center Hospital, Albany, New York, 1981-1982
Resident, Department of Pathology, The New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center, New York, New York, 1982-1985
Medical Staff Fellow, Laboratory of Immunology, NIAID, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland, 1985-1988
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- 1994-present Professor (secondary), Cell and Molecular Biology Program,USUHS
- 1998-present Professor (secondary), Department of Medicine, USUHS
- 1998-present Adjunct Professor, Birla Institute of Technology & Science, Pilani (Rajasthan),India
- 2000-present Professor (secondary), Emerging Infectious Diseases Program
- 2000-present Director, Institute for Vaccine Research, USUHS
- 1975 Theodore Smits Memorial Award in Astronomy and Physics
- 1989 Burroughs Wellcome Fund Developing Investigator Award, Immunopharmacology of Allergic Diseases
- 1992 The Jeffrey Modell Foundation Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2009 Exceptional Lab Instructor in Pathology, USUHS
- 2008 Member, Ad Hoc; NIH Center for Scientific Review Special Emphasis Panel: “Hypersensitivity, Autoimmune, and Immune-Mediated Diseases”
- Snapper, C. M., and F. D. Finkelman. Immunoglobulin class switching. In: Fundamental Immunology 4th edition, W. E. Paul ed., Raven Press, N.Y., 1997.
- Snapper, C. M. and J. Banchereau. Cytokines in antibody responses. In: The cytokine network and immune functions, 1999. Ed. J. Theze.
- Vos, Q., Lees, A., Wu, Z-Q., Snapper, C. M., and Mond, J. J. 2000. B cell activation by T cell independent type 2 antigens as an integral part of the humoral immune response to pathogenic microorganisms. Immunol. Rev. 176:154.
- Snapper, C. M., Shen, Y., Khan, A. Q., Colino, J., Zelazowski, P., Mond, J. J., Gause, W. C., and Wu, Z-Q. 2001. Distinct types of T-cell help for the induction of a humoral immune response to Streptococcus pneumoniae. Trends in Immunology. 22:308.
- Colino, J. and Snapper. C. M. 2003. Dendritic cells, new tools for vaccination. Microbes and Infection 5: 311.
- Snapper, C. M., Wu, Z-Q., Khan, A. Q., and Colino, J. The humoral immune response to Streptococcus pneumoniae. In: The Pneumococcus. 2004. Eds. E. Tuomanen, T. Mitchell, D. Morrison, and B. Spratt.
- Snapper, C. M. 2006. Differential regulation of protein- and polysaccharide-specific Ig isotype production in vivo in response to intact Streptococcus pneumoniae. Curr Protein Pept Sci. 7 :295.
- Goldblatt, D. and Snapper, C. M. 2007. Immunobiology of pneumococcal polysaccharides and conjugate vaccines. In. Pneumococcal Vaccines: The Impact of Conjugate Vaccine. Eds. G. Siber, K. Klugman, and H. Makela, ASM Press.
- Snapper, C. M. 2012. Mechanisms underlying in vivo polysaccharide-specific immunoglobulin responses to intact extracellular bacteria. Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 1253: 92.
- Snapper, C. M. 2015. The humoral immune response to T cell-independent antigens. Encyclopedia of Immunology, Elsevier.