D. Scott Merrell, Ph.D.
D. Scott Merrell, Ph.D.
Name: D. Scott Merrell, Ph.D.
Basic Biology of Bacterial, Viral, or Parasite Diseases
Microbiome, Bacterial stress response and adaptation, Polymicrobial interactions
1994-1996 M.S. Microbiology, University of Arkansas, Advisor: Mack Ivey, Ph.D.
1996-2001 Ph.D. Molecular Biology and Microbiology, Tufts University School of Medicine, Advisor: Andrew Camilli, Ph.D.
2001-2004 Postdoctoral Fellow, Stanford School of Medicine, Advisor: Stanley Falkow, Ph.D.
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- 2008, Merck Irving S. Sigal Memorial Award for excellence in basic research in medical microbiology and infectious diseases.
- 2012-2014, ASM Branch Lectureship
- 2015, Cinda Helke Award for Excellence in Graduate Student Advocacy
- 2015, F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine Impact Award
- 2014-present, Graduate Education Chair
- 2007-present, EID Graduate Program Executive Committee
- 2007-present, Biomedical Instrumentation Advisory Committee
- 2010-present, Associate Editor Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology
- 2006-present, Member, Editorial Board Infection and Immunity
- 2017-2020, Member, Editorial Board International Journal of Medical Microbiology
- D.S. Merrell, S.M. Butler, F. Qadri, N. A. Dolganov, A. Alam, M.B. Cohen, S.B. Calderwood, G.K. Schoolnik, and A. Camilli. “Host Induced Epidemic Spread of the Cholera Bacterium.” Nature 417(6889):642-645, 2002. PMC2776822
- D.R. Bridge, J.M. Whitmire, J.J. Gilbreath, E.S. Metcalf, and D.S. Merrell. "An Enterobacterial Common Antigen Mutant of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium as a Vaccine Candidate." International Journal of Medical Microbiology, Sep;305(6):511-22. doi: 10.1016/j.ijmm.2015.05.004, 2015.
- R.C. Johnson, C.D. Schlett, K. Crawford, J.B. Lanier, D.S. Merrell, and M.W. Ellis. “Recurrent Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus Cutaneous Abscesses and the Selection of Reduced Chlorhexidine Susceptibility During Chlorhexidine Use.” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, Nov;53(11):3677-82. doi: 10.1128/JCM.01771-15, 2015.
- A. Kim, S.L. Servetas, J. Kang, J. Kim, S. Jang, H.J. Cha, W.J. Lee, J. Kim, J. Romero-Gallo, R.M. Peek Jr. D.S. Merrell*, and J.H. Cha “Helicobacter pylori bab Paralog Distribution and Association with cagA, vacA, and homA/B genotypes in American and South Korean Clinical Isolates.” PLoS ONE, Aug 28;10(8):e0137078. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0137078, 2015.
- A.S. Lo, D.S. Merrell, H. Lei, A. Sardi, T. McAvoy, and T.L. Testerman. "A Novel Member of Chitinophagaceae Isolated from a Human Peritoneal Tumor." Genome Announcements, Nov 12;3(6). pii: e01297-15. doi: 10.1128/genomeA.01297-15, 2015.
- C.L. Williams, H.M. NEU, J.J. Gilbreath, S.L. Michel, D.V. Zurawski and D.S. Merrell. “Copper Resistance of the Emerging Pathogen Acinetobacter baumannii.” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 82(20):6174-6188, 2016.
- J. Singh, R.C. Johnson, C.D. Schlett, E.M. Elassal, K.B. Crawford, D. Mor, J.B. Lanier, N.N. Law, W.A. Walters, N. Teneza-Mora, J.W. Bennett, E.R. Hall, E.V. Millar, M.W. Ellis, and D.S. Merrell. “Multi-Body Site Microbiome and Culture Profiling of Military Trainees Suffering From Skin and Soft-Tissue Infections at Fort Benning, GA.” mSphere, Oct 5;1(5), 2016. pii: e00232-16.
- R.C. Johnson, M.W. Ellis, C.D. Schlett, E.V. Millar, P.T. LaBreck, D. Mor, E.M. Elassal, J.B. Lanier, C.L. Redden, T. Cui, N. Teneza-Mora, D.K. Bishop, E.R. Hall, K.A. Bishop-Lilly, and D.S. Merrell. “Bacterial Etiology and Risk Factors Associated with Cellulitis and Purulent Skin Abscesses in Military Trainees.” PLoS ONE, Oct 25;11(10):e0165491. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0165491.