David Klein, MD, MPH
David A Klein, MD, MPH, Lieutenant Colonel, Air Force
Name: David A Klein, MD, MPH, Lieutenant Colonel, Air Force
Reproductive health, LGBTQ+ health, Eating disorders
Psychosocial interviewing for adolescents
2014 - Adolescent Medicine Fellowship, San Antonio Military Medical Center, TX
2010 - Family Medicine Residency, David Grant Medical Center, Travis Air Force Base, CA
2007 - Doctor of Medicine (MD), Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, MD
2003 - Master of Public Health (MPH), University of Maryland, College Park, MD
2001 - Bachelor of Science with Honors in Psychology, University of Maryland, College Park, MD
Dr. Klein is an Associate Professor of Family Medicine and Pediatrics at the Uniformed Services University. He has authored more than 50 articles in peer-reviewed journals on topics related to reproductive health, sexual and gender minority youth, eating disorders, and psychosocial screening for adolescents.
Dr. Klein spent 5 years as a faculty member at the National Capital Consortium Family Medicine Residency in Fort Belvoir, Virginia where he served as a Medical Student Rotation Site Coordinator and Associate Program Director. In 2018, he deployed to Kuwait in support of Operation Inherent Resolve. He was previously the Medical Director of the Lajes Air Base Military Clinic in the Azores, Portugal. In 2016, he received the US Air Force Surgeon General's Award for Clinical Excellence.
He enjoys mentoring medical students, residents, and junior clinicians, caring for his patients, and spending time with his family.
- Grammer AC, Byrne ME, Pearlman AT, Klein DA, Schvey NA. Obesity in sexual and gender minority youth: A systematic review. Obes Rev. 2019;20(10):1350-1366.
- Klein DA, Roberts TA, Adirim TA, Landis CA, Susi A, Schvey NA, Hisle-Gorman E. Transgender children and adolescents receiving care in the US military health care system. JAMA Pediatr. 2019;173(5):491-492.
- Hisle-Gorman E, Landis CA, Susi A, Schvey NA, Gorman GH, Nylund CM, Klein DA. Gender dysphoria in children with autism spectrum disorder. LGBT Health. 2019;6(3):95-100.
- Klein DA, Paradise SL, Goodwin ET. Caring for transgender and gender-diverse persons – What clinicians should know. Am Fam Physician. 2018;98(11):645-653.
- Klein DA, Berry-Bibee EN, Baker KK, Malcolm NM, Rollison JM, Frederiksen BN. Providing quality family planning services for LGBTQIA individuals: A systematic review. Contraception. 2018;97(5):378-391.
- Brunson MR, Klein DA, Olsen CH, Weir LF, Roberts TA. Postpartum contraception: initiation and effectiveness in a large universal healthcare system. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017;217(1):55.e1-55.e9.
- Schvey NA, Blubaugh I, Morettini A, Klein, DA. Military family physicians’ readiness for treating patients with gender dysphoria. JAMA Internal Med. 2017;177(5):727-729.
- Diedrich JT, Klein DA, Peipert JF. Long-acting reversible contraception in adolescents: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017;216(4):e1-364.e12.
- Chiles DP, Roberts TA, Klein DA. Initiation and continuation of long-acting reversible contraception in the United States military healthcare system. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016;215(3):328:e1-328.e9.
- Klein DA, Goldenring JM, Adelman WP. HEEADSSS 3.0: The psychosocial interview for adolescents updated for a new century fueled by media. Contemp Pediatr. 2014;31(1):16-28.