David Krantz, Ph.D.
David S. Krantz, Ph.D.
Name: David S. Krantz, Ph.D.
Behavioral medicine and cardiovascular disease
Psychosocial stress and human health
Ph.D. (1975) in Psychology, University of Texas at Austin.
Dr. Krantz was formerly Chair of the USUHS Department of Medical and Clinical Psychology between 1999-2014, and was one of a group of founders of the USU Center for Deployment Psychology (CDP), and CDP Principal Investigator between 2006-2015. In the past, he has served as Editor-in-Chief of the APA journal Health Psychology, president of the Health Psychology Division of APA, and president the Academy of Behavioral Medicine Research. He is active in graduate education, and has supervised >24 doctoral dissertations in Medical and Clinical Psychology, trained 11 post-doctoral fellows, and currently has 4 Ph.D. students in his lab. See bios of members of the Cardiovascular Behavioral Medicine Lab here: https://www.usuhs.edu/faculty/krantz, and pictures of our lab group and activities on this page: https://www.usuhs.edu/faculty-staff/david-s-krantz-phd
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- Those wishing to use the KRANTZ HEALTH OPINION SURVEY (KHOS) scale can download a copy at this link: https://www.usuhs.edu/sites/default/files/media/mps/pdf/krantzhealthopinionsurveyscale.pdf No additional permission from the author is needed in order to use this scale. Download the original scale development/validation article by Krantz et al. (1980) in Journal of Personality and Social Psychology at this link: https://www.usuhs.edu/sites/default/files/media/mps/pdf/jpsp1980krantzetalkhos.pdf
- Endrighi R, Dimond AJ, Waters AJ, Dimond CC, Harris KM, Gottlieb SS, Krantz DS. Associations of perceived stress and state anger with symptom burden and functional status in patients with heart failure. Psychology and Health. 2019 Oct;34(10):1250-1266. doi:10.1080/08870446.2019.1609676.
- Biggs QM, Ursano RJ, Wang J, Krantz DS, Carr RB, Wynn GH, Adams DP, Dacuyan NM, Fullerton CS. Daily variation in post traumatic stress symptoms in individuals with and without probable post traumatic stress disorder. BMC Psychiatry. 2019 Feb 4;19(1):56. doi: 10.1186/s12888-019-2041-7.
- Mehta PK, Hermel M, Nelson MD, Cook-Wiens G, Martin EA, Alkhoder AA, Wei J, Minissian M, Shufelt CL, Marpuri S, Hermel D, Shah A, Irwin MR, Krantz DS, Lerman A, Noel Bairey Merz C. Mental stress peripheral vascular reactivity is elevated in women with coronary vascular dysfunction: Results from the NHLBI-sponsored Cardiac Autonomic Nervous System (CANS) study. Int J Cardiol. 2018 Jan 15;251:8-13. doi: 10.1016/j.ijcard.2017.10.061. PMID: 29103858
- Keith F, Krantz DS, Chen R, Harris KM, Ware CM, Lee AK, Bellini PG, Gottlieb SS. Anger, Hostility, and Hospitalizations in Patients With Heart Failure. Health Psychol. 2017 Jun 26. doi: 10.1037/hea0000519. [Epub ahead of print]
- Harris KM, Krantz DS, Kop WJ, Marshall J, Robinson SW, Marshall JM, Gottlieb SS. A New Clinically Applicable Measure of Functional Status in Patients With Heart Failure: The 60-Foot Walk Test. JACC Heart Fail. 2017 Jun;5(6):411-420. doi: 10.1016/j.jchf.2017.02.005. Epub 2017 May 10. PMID: 28501523
- Endrighi R, Waters AJ, Gottlieb SS, Harris KM, Wawrzyniak AJ, Bekkouche NS, Li Y, Kop WJ, Krantz DS. Psychological stress and short-term hospitalisations or death in patients with heart failure. Heart. 2016 Jun 29. pii: heartjnl-2015-309154. doi: 10.1136/heartjnl-2015-309154. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 27357124
- Wawrzyniak AJ, Dilsizian V, Krantz DS, Harris KM, Smith MF, Shankovich A, Whittaker KS, Rodriguez GA, Gottdiener J, Li S, Kop W, Gottlieb SS. High Concordance Between Mental Stress-Induced and Adenosine-Induced Myocardial Ischemia Assessed Using SPECT in Heart Failure Patients: Hemodynamic and Biomarker Correlates. J Nucl Med. 2015 Oct;56(10):1527-33. doi: 10.2967/jnumed.115.157990. Epub 2015 Jul 23. PMID: 26205303
- Gottlieb SS, Harris K, Todd J, Estis J, Christenson RH, Torres V, Whittaker K, Rebuck H, Wawrzyniak A, Krantz DS. Prognostic significance of active and modified forms of endothelin 1 in patients with heart failure with reduced ejection fraction. Clin Biochem. 2015 Mar;48(4-5):292-6. doi: 10.1016/j.clinbiochem.2014.12.012. Epub 2014 Dec 23. PMID: 25541019
- Krantz DS, Burg MM. Current perspective on mental stress-induced myocardial ischemia. Psychosom Med. 2014 Apr;76(3):168-70. doi: 10.1097/PSY.0000000000000054. PMID: 24677165
- Bekkouche NS, Wawrzyniak AJ, Whittaker KS, Ketterer MW, Krantz DS. Psychological and physiological predictors of angina during exercise-induced ischemia in patients with coronary artery disease. Psychosom Med. 2013 May;75(4):413-21. doi: 10.1097/PSY.0b013e31828c4cb4. Epub 2013 Apr 10. PMID: 23576766