David Shearer, MS, MSCP, PHD
David S Shearer, MS, MSCP, PHD
Name: David S Shearer, MS, MSCP, PHD
Psychopharmacology and Psychology
Combined Psychopharmacology and Psychotherapy, Psychology in Primary Care Settings
Combined Clinical/Counseling/School Psychology Program
Full APA Accreditation
Specialization: Behavioral Medicine, Child/School Psychology
Dissertation: The MMPI-2 and Low-Back Pain Surgery Outcome
M.S. New Mexico State University, New Mexico, December 2010
M.S. Utah State University, Logan, Utah, June, 1998.
Major: School Psychology
Full NASP Accreditation
M.S. University of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho, May 1995.
Major: Clinical Psychology
Thesis: Personality and Academic Risk Status in University Students
B.A. University of California - Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, CA. August 1990.
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- Recipient, Major Caraveo National Service Award, for contributions as a prescribing psychologist to underserved populations, American Psychological Association, Division 55, Chicago, August 2019
- Member-At-Large, Division 55, American Society for the Advancement of Pharmacotherapy, a specialty division of the American Psychological Association
- Chair, Prescribing Psychology (RxP) Legislative Workgroup, Washington State Psychological Association
- Board Member, Hospital Ethics Review Board, Madigan Army Medical Center
- Taskforce Member, Co-Author of the Application for Psychopharmacology as a Specialty in Professional Psychology, Division 55 of the American Psychological Association
- Clinical Instructor, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
- Adjunct Faculty, Alliant International University, CA
- Waltman, S.H., Shearer, D. S, & Moore, B.A. (2018). Management of Post-Traumatic Nightmares: A Review of Pharmacologic and Nonpharmacologic Treatments Since 2013. Current Psychiatry Reports
- Shearer, D.S., Moore, B.A., & Park, A.H. (2015). Establishing uniform requirements for privileging psychologists to prescribe in federal service. The Tablet (Spring 2015), American Society for the Advancement of Psychotherapy, 35 - 37
- Shearer, D.S., Harmon, C.S., Seavey, B.M., & Tiu, A.Y. (2012). The primary care prescribing psychologist model: Medical provider ratings of the safety, impact and utility of prescribing psychologist in a primary care settings. Journal of Clinical Psychology in Medical Settings, 19(4), 420-429.
- Shearer, D.S. (2012). Civilian primary care prescribing psychologist in an Army medical center. Journal of Clinical Psychology in Medical Settings, 19(4), 430-433.
- Shearer, D. S. & Etherage, J. R. (2010). The practice of medical psychology in a military primary care medicine setting. Archives of Medical Psychology, 1, 14-18.
- Shearer, D.S., Pujol, L., & Moore, B.A. (expected 2020). Prescribing psychologists in the Army: Primary care integration and tele-psychopharmacology. In B. Rom-Rymer (Ed). Prescribing psychologists in the military: History, regulations, and cutting-edge practice.
- Shearer, D.S., Brown, C.S., & Moore, B.A. (2018). Psychoses. In M. Muse (Ed), Cognitive behavioral psychopharmacology: The clinical practice of biopsychosocial integration. New York, John Wiley & Sons
- Shearer, D.S., Brown, C.S., Harmon, S.C., & Moore, B.A. (2013). Integrating psychopharmacology and psychotherapy in anxiety disorders. In I.R. de Oliveira, T. Schwartz, & S.M. Stahl (Eds), Integrating psychotherapy and psychopharmacology. New York, Routledge.
- Shearer, D.S., & Candy, C.M. (2013). Impact of psychiatric disorders and psychotropic medications on retention and deployment. In J. Barnett & B.A. Moore (Eds), Military psychologists’ desk reference. New York, Oxford University Press.
- Shearer, D.S., Harmon, S.C., Younger, R.D., & Brown, C.S. (2013). Specific phobia. In S.M. Stahl & B.A. Moore (Eds), Anxiety disorders: a concise guide and casebook for psychopharmacology and psychotherapy integration. New York: Routledge