Deborah Girasek, PhD, MPH
Deborah C. Girasek, PhD, MPH
Name: Deborah C. Girasek, PhD, MPH
Social & Behavioral Aspects of Unintentional Injury Control
M.P.H. University of Michigan School of Public Health, Michigan
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- Member of Editorial Board, Injury Epidemiology (2013-present)
- Member of DoD;s Military Injury Working Group, in support of the 3 Star Safety & Occupational Health Steering Group (2014-present)
- Member of the National Park Service's Drowning Prevention Advisory Board (2014-2016)
- Paper was one of six selected from the journal “Injury Prevention’s” 20 year publication history, based upon its impact on the field (2015)
- Recipient of the Outstanding Biomedical Graduate Educator Award, USUHS (2014)
- Appointed to the NOAA Operations and Assessment Team for Hurricane and Post-tropical Cyclone Sandy (aka "Superstorm Sandy") (2012-13)
- (Selected Additional Publications) Girasek DC. Advice From Bereaved Parents: on Forming Partnerships for Injury Prevention. Health Promotion Practice 6(2):207-213, 2005.
- Wegner MV, Girasek DC. How readable are child safety seat instructions? Pediatrics 111(3):588-591, 2003.
- Girasek DC, Gielen AC, Smith GS. Alcohol’s contribution to fatal injuries: a report on public perceptions. Annals of Emergency Medicine 39:622-630, 2002.
- Girasek DC. How members of the public interpret the word accident. Injury Prevention 5:19-25, 1999.
- Girasek DC, Marschall JS, Pope D. Patterns of behavior that pose potential drowning risk to hikers at Yosemite National Park. Journal of Travel Medicine 23(1):tav016, 2016. doi: 10.1093/jtm/tav016.
- Girasek DC, Marschall JS, Pope D. Understanding Hikers Who Approached a Hazardous River in Yosemite National Park. Injury Prevention. Published Online First:28 September 2015 doi:10.1136/injuryprev-2015-041625.
- Girasek DC. Gauging Popular Support for Traffic Safety in the United States. Accident Analysis & Prevention. 50:1112–1117, 2013.
- Girasek DC. Towards operationalizing and measuring the Traffic Safety Culture construct. International Journal of Injury Control and Safety Promotion, 9(1):37- 46, 2012.
- Girasek DC. Evaluation of a brief intervention designed to increase CPR training among pregnant pool owners. Health Education Research. 26(4):689-97, 2011.
- Girasek DC, Taylor B. An Exploratory Study of the Relationship Between Socioeconomic Status and Motor Vehicle Safety Features. Traffic Injury Prevention 11(2):151-155, 2010.
- McKibben JBA, Ekselius L, Girasek DC, Gould NF, Holzer III C, Rosenberg M, Dissanaike S, Gielen, AC. Epidemiology of burn injuries II: Psychiatric and behavioural perspectives. International Review of Psychiatry, 21(6): 1–10, 2009.
- Girasek DC, Olsen CH. Airline Passengers' Alcohol Use and Its Safety Implications.Journal of Travel Medicine 16(5):311-316, 2009.
- Girasek DC, Olsen CH. Usual seatbelt practices reported by airline passengers surveyed in gate areas of a U.S. airport. Aviation, Space and Environmental Medicine 78:1050-1054, 2007.
- Girasek DC. Would society pay more attention to injuries if the injury control community paid more attention to risk communication science? (Commentary) Injury Prevention 12:71-73, 2006.