E. Matthew Ritter, MD
E. Matthew Ritter, MD, Colonel, Air Force
Name: E. Matthew Ritter, MD, Colonel, Air Force
Complex Gastrointestinal Surgery, Complex Hernia Surgery, Surgical Endoscopy, Splenic and Adrenal surgery
Research: Assessment and Training through simulation; Graduate medical education
Emory Endosurgery Unit Atlanta, Georgia July 2003- June 2004 Clinical Fellowship,l Minimally Invasive and Advanced Gastrointestinal Surgery
Emory Endosurgery Unit, Atlanta, Georgia July 2002-June 2003 Research Fellowship Minimally Invasive Surgery,Simulation, Training and Robotics
David Grant Medical Center / University of California, Davis SOM, Travis Air Force Base California, July 1998-June 2002, General Surgery Residency
David Grant Medical Center / University of California, Davis SOM, Travis Air Force Base California, July 1997-June 1998, General Surgery Internship
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, F. Edward Hebert School of Medicine Bethesda, Maryland 1993-1997 Doctor of Medicine
United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colorado 1989-1993, Bachelor of Science in Chemistry
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- 1st Annual Teaching With Technology Award. Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences Education Day. Bethesda, Maryland, June 2017
- First Place, Clinical Research, Faculty division, Navy-wide Clinical and Basic Science Research Competition, Norfolk, Virginia, May 2017
- Robert A. Phillips Award for Faculty Research, 9th Annual National Capital Region Research Competition, Bethesda, Maryland May 2017
- COL Craig D. Shriver Award for Operative Teaching Excellence, USU/Walter Reed Department of Surgery, Bethesda, Maryland, Academic Year 2014 - 2015.
- Vice Chair, Unified Standards Committee, The Fellowship Council. March 2017 – present.
- Member, Board of Governors, Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES) April 2016 – presen
- Chair, Curriculum Task Force, Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES) April 2017 – present
- Co-Chair, Military Health System / American College of Surgeons Strategic Partnership Committee on Education, August 2015 – present
- Franklin BR, Placek SB, Gardner AK, Korndorffer JR Jr, Wagner MD, Pearl JP, Ritter EM. Preparing for the American Board of Surgery Flexible Endoscopy Curriculum: Development of Multi-institutional Proficiency-based Training Standards and Pilot Testing of a Simulation-based Mastery Learning Curriculum for the Endoscopy Training System. Am J Surg, 2017 Sept 20 doi: 10.1016/j.amjsurg.2017.09.010. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ritter EM, Taylor ZA, Wolf KR, Franklin BR, Placek SB, Korndorffer JR Jr, Gardner AK. Simulation-based mastery learning for endoscopy using the endoscopy training system: a strategy to improve endoscopic skills and prepare for the fundamentals of endoscopic surgery (FES) manual skills exam. Surg Endosc. 2017 Jul 11. doi: 10.1007/s00464-017-5697-4.
- Lineberry M. Ritter EM Psychometric properties of the Fundamentals of Endoscopic Surgery (FES) skills examination. Surg Endosc. 2017 May 10. doi: 10.1007/s00464-017-5590-1.
- Aggarwal R, Brown KM, de Groen PC, Gallagher AG, Henriksen K, Kavoussi LR, Peng GCY, Ritter EM, Silverman E, Wang KK, Andersen D. Simulation Research in Gastrointestinal and Urologic Care-Challenges and Opportunities: Summary of a National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases and National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering Workshop. Ann Surg. 2017 May 31. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0000000000002228. [Epub ahead of print]
- Franklin BR, Placek SB, Wagner MD, Haviland SM, ODonnell MT, Ritter EM. Cost Comparison of Fundamentals of Laparoscopic Surgery Training Completed with Standard Fundamentals of Laparoscopic Surgery Equipment versus Low-Cost Equipment. Journal of Surgical Education. 2016 December
- Placek SB, Franklin BR, Haviland SM, Wagner MD, O’Donnell MT, Cryer CT, Trinca KD, Silverman E, Ritter EM Outcomes of Fundamentals of Laparoscopic Surgery (FLS) mastery training standards applied to an ergonomically different, lower cost platform. Surgical Endoscopy. 2016 Online 12 Oct 2016.
- Okrainec A, Vassiliou M, Jimenez MC, Henao O, Kaneva P, Ritter EM. Remote FLS Testing in the Real World: Ready for “Prime Time”. Surgical Endoscopy 2016 July 30(7); 2697 – 2702.
- Gardner AK, Ritter EM, Paige JT, Ahmed RA, Fernandez G, Dunkin BJ. Simulation-Based Selection of Surgical Trainees: Considerations, Challenges, and Opportunities. J Am Col Surg, 2016 SEP 223(3); 530 – 536.
- Thinggaard E, Kleif J, Bjerrum F, Strandbygaard J, Goegenur I, Ritter EM, Konge L. Off-Site Training of Laparoscopic Skills. A SCOPING Review Using a Thematic Analysis. Surgical Endoscopy. 2016 November 30(11); 4733 - 4741
- Yudkowsky R, Park YS, Lineberry M, Knox A, Ritter EM Setting Mastery Learning Standards. Academic Medicine, 2015 90(11); 1495-1500.