Erin Barry, M.S.
Erin S Barry, M.S.
Name: Erin S Barry, M.S.
Stress, PTS, TBI, Addictive behaviors
2008 - MS, Biomedical Engineering, University of Texas-Arlington
Ms. Barry earned a B.E. (2006) in Biomedical Engineering with a minor in Mathematics from Vanderbilt University in Nashville, TN. She earned an M.S. (2008) in Biomedical Engineering from University of Texas at Arlington with a focus on Tissue Engineering and Drug Delivery. Erin worked at the Baylor Institute for Immunology Research in Dallas, TX, with Dr. Damien Chaussabel to identify biomarkers in B-cell deficient patients, Multiple Sclerosis patients, Rheumatoid Arthritis patients, lung cancer patients, and performance-enhancing drugs in Olympic marathon runners. She also has worked at the Center for BrainHealth in Dallas, TX, with Dr. Richard King, using fractal dimensions to diagnose Alzheimer's disease. She has worked at USU since 2010 where her research has focused on traumatic brain injury (TBI), post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and leadership. She serves as Project Manager and Biostatistician for several studies of leadership that focus on individual characteristics, interpersonal dynamics, and academic performance as predictors of leadership competence. She also serves as a liaison for USU LEAD with leadership training programs at other medical schools. In addition, she helps to mentor graduate and medical students with regard to research activities.
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- USU LEAD Leadership Bushmaster Research
- USU LEAD Intergenerational Leadership
- USU Leadership and long-term outcomes
- Biopsychosocial Effects of Service Dog Training on Post-Traumatic Stress (PTS) and Post Concussive Symptoms
- Yarnell, A.M, Shaughness, M.C., Barry, E.S., Ahlers, S.T., McCarron, R.M., Grunberg, N.E., (2013). Blast traumatic brain injury in the rat using a blast overpressure model. Current Protocols in Neuroscience. Chapter 9, Unit 9.41.
- Ariyannur, P.S., Arun, P., Barry, E.S., Andrews-Shigaki, B., Bosomtwi, A., Tang, H., Selwyn, R., Grunberg, N.E., Moffett, J.R., Namboodiri, M.A. (2013). Do reductions in brain N-Acetylaspartate levels contribute to the etiology of some neuropsychiatric disorders? Journal of Neuroscience Research. 91(7), 934-42.
- Kamnaksh, A., Ahmed, F., Kovesdi, E., Barry, E.S., Grunberg, N.E., Long, J.B., & Agoston, D.V. (2013). Molecular mechanisms of increased cerebral vulnerability after repeated mild blast-induced traumatic brain injury. Translational Proteomics 3: 22-37.
- Xing, G.*, Barry, E.S.*, Benford, B., Grunberg, N.E., Li, H., Watson, W.D., & Sharma, P. (2013). Impact of repeated stress on traumatic brain injury-induced mitochondrial electron transport chain expression and behavioral responses in rats. Frontiers in Neurology. (*equal contributing authors). 4:196.
- Sharma, A., Chandran, R., Barry, E.S., Bhomia, M., Hutchison, M.A., Balakathiresan, N.S., Grunberg, N.E., & Maheshwari, R.K. (2014). Identification of serum microRNA signatures for diagnosis of mild traumatic brain injury in a closed head injury model. PLoS One 9(11).
- Nindl, B.C., Purvis-Jaffin, D.P., Dretsch, M.N., Cheuvront, S.N., Wesensten, N.J., Kent, M.L., Grunberg, N.E., Pierce, J.R., Barry, E.S., Scott, J.M., Young, A.J., O’Connor, F.G., Deuster, P.A. (2015). Human performance optimization (HPO) metrics: Consensus findings, gaps, and recommendations for future research. Journal of Strength Conditioning Research. 29, S221-245.
- Yarnell, A.M., Barry, E.S., Mountney, A., Shear, D., Tortella, F., Grunberg, N.E. (2016). The Revised Neurobehavioral Severity Scale (NSS-R). Current Protocols in Neuroscience. 75: 9.52.1-9.52.16.
- Eklund, K.E., Barry, E.S., Grunberg, N.E. (2017). Gender and Leadership. In A. Alvinius (Ed.), Gender Differences in Different Contexts, InTech, 129-150.
- Grunberg, N.E., Barry, E.S., Kleber, H., McManigle, J.E., Schoomaker, E.B., (2017). Seven steps to establish a leader and leadership education and development (LEAD) program. In M. Clark & C.W. Gruber (Eds.), Leader Development Deconstructed. Cham, Switzerland: Springer International Publishing.
- Grunberg, N.E., Barry, E.S., Yarnell, A.M. (in press). Psychological well-being. In D.C. Smith, E.B. Schoomaker & F. O’Connor (Eds.), Fundamentals of Military Medical Practice. Washington, DC: Borden Institute, Office of the Surgeon General of the Army.