Francis O'Connor, MD, MPH
Francis G O'Connor, MD, MPH
Name: Francis G O'Connor, MD, MPH
Human Performance and Sports Medicine
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
Degree: Masters in Public Health
1991-1992: Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship
Nirschl Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Center
1985-1988: Family Medicine Residency
St. Joseph's Hospital Health Center
301 Prospect Avenue
Syracuse, New York
1981-1985: State University of New York
Health Science Center
750 E. Adams Street
Syracuse, New York
Degree: Doctor of Medicine
1977-1981: United States Military Academy (USMA)
West Point, New York
Concentration: Basic Science
Degree: Bachelor of Science
Military Performance, Uniformed Services University, has been a leader in sports medicine education and research for the military for over 25 years. Dr.O’Connor has authored over 90 peer reviewed articles in scientific journals and numerous book chapters/technical reports/health promotion resources for the military. In addition, Dr. O’Connor is the editor of eight texts on sports medicine including, the Textbook of Running Medicine, and Sports Medicine for the Primary care Physician 3rd Edition and ACSM’s Sports Medicine: A Comprehensive Review. He has been on the board of several leading organizations in sports medicine including the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), and the American Medical Athletic Association and is a past President of the American Medical Society of Sports Medicine. A Colonel in the United States Army, Dr. O’Connor is a graduate of the United States Military Academy at West Point, and prior to his recent posting at Uniformed Services University in the Department of Military Medicine, served one year as a Command Surgeon with Special Operations in the Middle East. Dr. O’Connor is recipient of several awards for excellence in sports medicine research and education including the Korey Stringer Institute’s Korey Stringer Institute Lifesaving Research Award, presented by the NFL and Gatorade in 2012, and he was recently selected for an ACSM 2016 Citation Award.
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- Medical Director , Uniformed Services University Consortium For Health and Military Performance (CHAMP) ,Department of Military and Emergency Medicine , Professor of Military and Emergency Medicine ,Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (2006-2013)
- Command Surgeon, Special Operations Central (SOCCENT), MacDill AFB, FL (2005-2006)
- Chief, Dewitt Family Health Center , DeWitt Army Community Hospital , Fort Belvoir, Virginia (2004 -2006)
- Director, Primary Care Sports Medicine , Fellowship - Department of Family Medicine (1997-2004)
- President, American Medical Society of Sports Medicine (2010 - 2011)
- Board of Trustees, American College of Sports Medicine (2004 -2008)
- Marine Corps Marathon Hall of Fame Ambassador Award 2017
- American Medical Society of Sports Medicine Founder’s Award 2017
- American College of Sports Medicine Citation Award 2016
- Hosokawa Y, Casa DJ, Rosenberg H, Capacchione JF, Sagui E, Riazi S, Belval LN, Deuster PA, Jardine JF, Kavouras SA, Lee EC, Miller KC, Muldoon SM, O'Connor FG, Sailor SR, Sambuughin N, Stearns RL, Adams WM, Huggins RA, Vandermark LW. Round Table on Malignant Hyperthermia in Physically Active Populations: Meeting Proceedings. J Athl Train. 2017 Apr;52(4):377-383.
- Sylvester JE, Belval LN, Casa DJ, O'Connor FG. Exertional Heat Stroke and American Football: What the Team Physician Needs to Know. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 2016 Sep/Oct;45(6):340-348.
- Knapik JJ, O'Connor FG. Exertional Rhabdomyolysis: Epidemiology, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention. J Spec Oper Med. Fall 2016;16(3):65-7.
- Drezner JA, O'Connor FG, Harmon KG, Fields KB, Asplund CA, Asif IM, Price DE, Dimeff RJ, Bernhardt DT, Roberts WO. Infographic: AMSSM position statement on cardiovascular preparticipation screening in athletes: Current evidence, knowledge gaps, recommendations and future directions. Br J Sports Med. 2016 Oct 4. pii: bjsports-2016-096946. doi: 10.1136/bjsports-2016-096946.
- Webber BJ, Casa DJ, Beutler AI, Nye NS, Trueblood WE, O'Connor FG. Preventing Exertional Death in Military Trainees: Recommendations and Treatment Algorithms From a Multidisciplinary Working Group. Mil Med. 2016 Apr;181(4):311-8.
- de la Motte SJ, Lisman P, Sabatino M, Beutler AI, O'Connor FG, Deuster PA.The Relationship Between Functional Movement, Balance Deficits and Prior Injury History in Deploying Marine Warfighters. J Strength Cond Res. 2016 Mar 8.
- Stearns RL, Casa DJ, O'Connor FG, Lopez RM.A Tale of Two Heat Strokes: A Comparative Case Study. Curr Sports Med Rep. 2016 Mar-Apr;15(2):94-7.
- Asplund CA, O'Connor FG. The Evidence Against Cardiac Screening Using Electrocardiogram in Athletes. Curr Sports Med Rep. 2016 Mar-Apr;15(2):81-5.
- Asplund CA, O'Connor FG. Challenging Return to Play Decisions: Heat Stroke, Exertional Rhabdomyolysis, and Exertional Collapse Associated With Sickle Cell Trait. Sports Health. 2016 Mar;8(2):117-25.
- Birrer RB, O’Connor FG, Kane S: Musculoskeletal and Sports Medicine for the Primary Care Practitioner 4rd Edition. CRC Press, January 2016.