Gina Wei, MD, MPH
Gina S. Wei, MD, MPH
Name: Gina S. Wei, MD, MPH
Epidemiology and Prevention
1992 – 1996 George Washington University School of Medicine, Washington, DC; M.D.
1988 – 1992 University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA), Los Angeles, CA; B.S., Biochemistry
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- 2016 – Now: Director, Prevention and Population Sciences Program (PPSP); Associate Director, Division of Cardiovascular Sciences (DCVS); National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI); National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- 2014 – 2015: Senior Scientific Advisor, PPSP, DCVS, NHLBI, NIH
- 2004 – 2014: Medical Officer, Epidemiology Branch, NHLBI, NIH
- 2002 – 2004: Medical Officer, Clinical Review Team, Division of Dietary Supplement Programs, Office of Nutritional Products, Labeling and Dietary Supplements; Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition; FDA
- 2000 – 2002: Fellow, General Internal Medicine; Veterans Affairs (VA) Medical Center, Washington, DC; joint general internal medicine fellowship with Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC
- 1999 – 2000: Chief Resident, Internal Medicine, VA Medical Center, Washington, DC
- 1996 – 1999: Resident, Internal Medicine, Primary Care Track; George Washington University School of Medicine, Washington, DC
- 1. Lauer MS, Gordon D, Wei G, Pearson G. Efficient design of clinical trials and epidemiological research: is it possible? Nat Rev Cardiol. 2017 Apr 27. doi: 10.1038/nrcardio.2017.60. [Epub ahead of print] Review.
- 2. Mensah GA, Wei GS, Sorlie PD, Fine LJ, Rosenberg Y, Kaufmann PG, Mussolino ME, Hsu LL, Addou E, Engelgau MM, Gordon D. Decline in Cardiovascular Mortality: Possible Causes and Implications. Circ Res. 2017 Jan 20;120(2):366-380. doi: 10.1161/CIRCRESAHA.116.309115. Review
- 3. Fabsitz RR, Papanicolaou GJ, Sholinsky P, Coady SA, Jaquish CE, Nelson CR, Olson JL, Puggal MA, Purkiser KL, Srinivas PR, Wei GS, Wolz M, Sorlie PD. Impact of national heart, lung, and blood institute-supported cardiovascular epidemiology research, 1998 to 2012. Circulation. 2015;132:2028-2033
- 4. Wei GS, Coady SA, Reis JP, Carnethon MR, Coresh J, D'Agostino RB, Sr., Goff DC, Jr., Jacobs DR, Jr., Selvin E, Fox CS. Duration and degree of weight gain and incident diabetes in younger versus middle-aged black and white adults: Aric, cardia, and the framingham heart study. Diabetes Care. 2015;38:2042-2049
- 5. Reis, J. P., C. M. Loria, Lewis CE, Powell-Wiley TM, Wei GS, Carr JJ, Terry JG, Liu K. Association between duration of overall and abdominal obesity beginning in young adulthood and coronary artery calcification in middle age. 2013 JAMA 310(3): 280-288.
- 7. Sorlie P, Wei GS. Population-based cohort studies: still relevant? J Am Coll Cardiol. 2011 Nov 1;58(19):2010-3
- 8. Wei GS, Coady SA, Goff DC Jr, Brancati FL, Levy D, Selvin E, Vasan RS, Fox CS. Blood pressure and the risk of developing diabetes in African Americans and whites: ARIC, CARDIA, and the Framingham heart study. Diabetes Care. 2011 Apr;34(4):873-9.
- 16. Wei GS, Jackson JL. Postmenopausal Bone Density Referral Decision Rules: Correlation with Clinical Fractures. Military Medicine. 2004. Dec;169(12):1000-1004.
- 18. Wei GS, Jackson JL, Hatzigeorgiou C, Tofferi JK. Osteoporosis Management in the New Millennium. Prim Care. 2003. Dec;30(4):711-41, vi-vii.