James Dunford, PhD, MS, BA
James C Dunford, PhD, MS, BA, Lieutenant Commander, Navy
Name: James C Dunford, PhD, MS, BA, Lieutenant Commander, Navy
Vector surveillance and control, vector pathogen screening
arthropod biology, ecology, taxonomy and systematics
Ph.D. in Entomology and Nematology, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL-2007
M.S. in Entomology, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI-2000
B.A. in Biological Sciences, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Milwaukee, WI-1996
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- Navy Entomology Specialty Leader 2019-present
- USUHS Faculty Senate-Basic Science Senator; Faculty Senate Research Policy Committee Co-Chair, Faculty Senate Education Committee: 2019-present
- USUHS Department of Preventive Medicine and Biostatistics Strategic Planning Committee Co-Chair: 2019-present
- Adjunct Assistant Professor-Old Dominion University, College of Health Sciences, School of Community and Environmental Health: 2016-present
- Head-Preventive Medicine Program and Policy Support Department, Navy and Marine Corps Public Health Center: 2015-2018
- Disease Vector Component Manager-FDPMU, Expeditionary Platforms Department, Navy and Marine Corps Public Health Center: 2015-2018
- Instructor-University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, Entomology and Nematology Department: 2001-2006
- Deployments: Continuing Promise 2015; Operation Enduring Freedom-Cooperative Medical Assistance Team, Theater Entomologist 2010
- Meritorious Service Medal 2018, Navy and Marine Corps Public Health Center Junior Officer of the Year 2017
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Center for Global Health, Excellence in Partnering Award 2013
- Dunford, J.C., Estep, A.S., Waits, C.M., Richardson, A.G., Hoel, D.F., Horn, K., Walker, T.W., Blersch, J.S., Kerce, J.D., and R.A. Wirtz. 2018. Evaluation of the long-term efficacy of K-Othrine® PolyZone on three surfaces against laboratory reared Anopheles gambiae Giles in semi-field conditions. Malaria Journal: 17:94. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12936-018-2239-z.
- White, S. K. Lednicky, J.A., Okech, B.A., Morris Jr., J. G., and J. C. Dunford. 2018. Detection and Sequencing of Spondweni virus in field-caught Culex quinquefasciatus mosquitoes, Haiti 2016. Emerging Infectious Diseases. 24 (9) 1765-1767.
- White, S. K., Mavian, C., Salemi. M., Morris Jr., J. G., Okech, B.A., Lednicky, J.A., and J. C. Dunford. 2018. A new “American” subgroup of African-lineage Chikungunya virus detected in and isolated from mosquitoes collected in Haiti, 2016. PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases. 13(5). https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0196857
- Dunford, J.C., Falconer, A., Leite, L.N., Wirtz, R.W., and W.G. Brogdon. 2016. Determination of insecticidal effect (LC50 and LC90) of organic fatty acids mixture (C8910+silicone) against Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus (Diptera: Culicidae). Journal of Medical Entomology 53(3): 699-702. doi: 10.1093/jme/tjv239.
- Hoel, D.F., Dunford, J.C., Kline, D.L., Irish, S.R., Weber, M., Richardson, A.G., Doud, C.W., and R.A. Wirtz. 2015. A comparison of carbon dioxide sources for mosquito capture in CDC traps on the Florida Gulf Coast. Journal of the American Mosquito Control Association: 31(3): 248-257.
- Hoel, D.F., Marika, J.A., Dunford, J.C., Irish, S.E., Geier, M., Obermayr, U., and R.A. Wirtz. 2014. Optimizing collection of Anopheles gambiae s.s. (Diptera: Culicidae) in Biogent Sentinel traps. Journal of Medical Entomology 51(6): 1268-1275.
- Dunford, J.C., J.C. Turbyville, and J.M. Leavengood, Jr. 2014. Checklist of Medically Important Hymenoptera of Afghanistan. Insecta Mundi 0339. 1-13.
- Dunford, J.C., Stoops, C.A., Estep, A.S., Britch, S.C., Richardson, A.G., Walker, T.W., Farooq, Hoel, D.F., Platt, R.R., Smith, V.M., Wirtz, R.A., and J.D. Kerce. 2014. SR450 Superhawk XP applications of Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis de Barjac against Culex quinquefasciatus Say. Journal of the American Mosquito Control Association 30(3): 191-198.
- Dunford, J.C., Wirtz, R.A., Reifenrath, W.G., Falconer, A., Leite, L.N., and W.G. Brogdon. 2014. Determination of insecticidal effect (LCD50 and LCD90) of organic fatty acids mixture (C8910+silicone) against malaria vectors. Journal of Parasitology and Vector Biology 6(9): 131-141.
- Turbyville, J.C., Dunford, J.C., and M.R. Nelson. 2013. Hymenoptera of Afghanistan and the central command area of operations: assessing the threat to deployed U.S. service members with insect venom hypersensitivity. Allergy and Asthma Proceedings 34: 179-184.