JoEllen Schimmels, DNP, MSN, PMHNP-BC, ANP-BC
JoEllen Schimmels, DNP, MSN, PMHNP-BC, ANP-BC, Lieutenant Colonel, Army
Name: JoEllen Schimmels, DNP, MSN, PMHNP-BC, ANP-BC, Lieutenant Colonel, Army
Military awards and decorations include the Bronze Star, Meritorious Service Medal, Army Commendation Medal, Army Achievement Medal, and the Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal.
She earned a B.S. in nursing from Viterbo University, an M.S. in nursing from Duquesne University; post master's certificates in psychiatric and adult medical nurse practitioner from the University of Wisconsin, and a Doctorate in Nursing Practice from Texas Christian University. Clinically, she has worked primarily with behavioral health patients in the behavioral health and family practice settings and specializes in treatments of patients with PTSD and anxiety disorders. She has been published and presented nationally on behavioral health nursing, evidence based therapies, nursing curriculum development and military nursing. She is a certified Zumba instructor and enjoys running, scuba diving, swimming, scrapbooking, dancing, and doing anything and everything with her daughter.
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- Special Staff to the Army Surgeon General in the Commanders Initiative Group
- RAND Health Care Policy Fellowship working on military readiness and behavioral health projects
- Medical Director of the Intensive Outpatient and Residential Services at the San Antonio Military Medical Center
- Clinical Operations Officer in Charge of the 254th Combat and Operational Stress Control Unit in Afghanistan
- Prevention Team Chief in Iraq
- Chief of Community Behavioral Health Services at Fort Gordon, GA
- Consultant to the Army Surgeon General for Behavioral Health Nursing