John Dumler, M.D.
John Stephen Dumler, M.D.
Name: John Stephen Dumler, M.D.
MD - 1985 University of Maryland at Baltimore, Sch Medicine
POST GRADUATE EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
Anatomic Pathology Residency 1985-1988 Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Laboratory Medicine Residency 1988-1989 Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Pathology Residency (Research) 1990 University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston
Postdoctoral Fellowship 1990-1992 University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- 1992-1995 Assistant Professor, Pathology, University of Maryland School of Medicine
- 1996-2003 Associate Professor, Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School Public Health
- 2003-2013 Professor (tenured 2003), Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine; Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, The Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Hygiene and Public Health
- 2011-2012 Professor, Pathology and Microbiology, Perdana University Graduate School of Medicine, Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
- 2013-2016 Professor, Departments of Pathology and Microbiology & Immunology; University of Maryland School of Medicine.
- 2016-present Chair, Joint Departments of Pathology, F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences and Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, MD and Joint Pathology Center, Silver Spring, MD
- 2010 American Society for Microbiology Becton Dickinson Award for Research in Clinical Microbiology, 110th ASM General Meeting, San Diego, CA
- 2013 Brindley Visiting Professor, University of Texas Medical Branch, Department of Pathology, Galveston, TX
- 2013 Meeting Keynote Lecturer, XVII Congreso Sociedad Espanola de Enfermedades Infecciosas y Microbiologia Clinica (Spanish Society of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology), Zaragoza, Spain; May 29-31, 2013.
- 2013 Barnett L. Cohen Award, In recognition of contributions, devotion and interest in promoting the science of microbiology; Maryland Branch, American Society for Microbiology; December 4, 2013.
- Bakken JS, Dumler JS, Chen SM, Eckman MR, Van Etta LL, Walker DH. Human granulocytic ehrlichiosis in the upper midwest United States. A new species emerging? JAMA 1994;272:212-218.
- Goodman JL, Nelson C, Vitale B, Madigan JE, Dumler JS, Kurtti TJ, Munderloh UK. Direct cultivation of the causative agent from patients with human granulocytic ehrlichiosis. N Engl J Med 1996;334:209-215. PMID:8531996
- Dumler JS, Barbet AF, Bekker CPJ, Dasch GA, Palmer GH, Ray SC, Rikihisa Y, Rurangirwa FR. Reorganization of genera in the families Rickettsiaceae and Anaplasmataceae in the order Rickettsiales; unification of some species of Ehrlichia with Anaplasma, Cowdria with Ehrlichia, and Ehrlichia with Neorickettsia; descriptions of six new species combinations; and designation of Ehrlichia equi and "HGE agent” as subjective synonyms of Ehrlichia phagocytophila. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 2001; 51:2145-2165.
- Martin ME, Caspersen K, Dumler JS. Immunopathology and ehrlichial propagation are regulated by interferon gamma (IFN) and interleukin-10 (IL-10) in a murine model of human granulocytic ehrlichiosis (HGE). Am J Pathol 2001, 158:1881-1888.
- Dumler JS, Barat NC, Barat CE, Bakken JS. Human granulocytic anaplasmosis and macrophage activation. Clin Infect Dis 2007; 45: 199-204.
- Choi KS, Scorpio DG, Dumler JS. Stat1 negatively regulates immune-mediated injury with Anaplasma phagocytophilum infection. J Immunol 2014; 193:5088-98. PMC4225178
- Garcia-Garcia JC, Rennoll-Bankert KE, Pelly S, Milstone AM, Dumler JS. Silencing of host cell CYBB Gene expression by the nuclear effector AnkA of the intracellular pathogen Anaplasma phagocytophilum. Infect Immun. 2009; 77:2385-91. PMC2687357.
- Garcia-Garcia JC, Barat NC, Trembley SJ, Dumler JS. Epigenetic silencing of host cell defense genes enhances intracellular survival of the rickettsial pathogen Anaplasma phagocytophilum. PLoS Pathogen 2009; 5:e1000488. PMC2694362.
- Sinclair SHG, Yegnasubramanian S, Dumler JS. Global DNA methylation changes and differential gene expression in Anaplasma phagocytophilum-infected human neutrophils. Clin Epigenetics 2015 7:77. PMC4518890
- Rennoll-Bankert KE, Garcia-Garcia JC, Sinclair SH, Dumler JS. Chromatin-bound bacterial effector ankyrin A recruits histone deacetylase 1 and modifies host gene expression. Cell Microbiol. 2015; 17:1640-1652; PMID: 25996657