John Wightman, MD, MA
John M Wightman, MD, MA, Colonel, Air Force
Name: John M Wightman, MD, MA, Colonel, Air Force
Undergraduate Medical Education
Prehospital Emergency Care
University of Missouri - Columbia; MD with MA in physiology 1988
University of Missouri - St Louis; BA in chemistry 1983
Colorado State University; minor in computer science 1980
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- Wing Surgeon: 24th Special Operations Wing, Air Force Special Operations Command; Hurlburt Field, Florida 2016-2018
- Director, Human Research Protections and Biosurety Programs: 711th Human Performance Wing, Air Force Research Laboratory; Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio 2014-2016
- Master Clinician & Master Academician: 88th Medical Operations Squadron; Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio 2006-2014
- Team Leader, Subject-Matter Expert Exchange: Operation PACIFIC ANGEL; Socialist Republic of Viet Nam 2015
- Board of Directors: National TEMS Council; Augusta, Georgia 2013-present
- Combat deployments as an emergency physician: Zagreb, Croatia 1995-1996; Joint Base Balad, Iraq 2008-9009; Bagram Air Field, Afghanistan 2010-2011
- Combat deployments as an intensivist on Critical Care Air Transport Teams: Kandahar Air Field, Afghanistan 2003; Ramstein Air Base, Germany 2004 & 2005
- FAA pilot certificate [rotocraft category – helicopter class] 2002
- CME Editor or Associate Editor: Journal of Special Operations Medicine; St Petersburg, Florida 2001-present
- William P Clements Award as USUHS Class of 2001's Outstanding Military Educator; Bethesda, Maryland 2001
- Wightman JM. Radial pulse quality as a diagnostic test in Tactical Combat Casualty Care. Military Medicine. 2020; 185(11/12):484-486.
- Wightman JM. First receivers: managing blast injuries upon hospital arrival. In Callaway DW, Burnstein JL, Champion HC, Wightman JM, Sánchez LD, Thomas BW, Pamplin JC, Nemeth I [eds]: Operational and Medical Management of Explosive and Blast Incidents (Springer Nature: Cham, Switzerland; 2020), pp 289-311.
- DeMers G, Wightman J. Mass-casualty preparedness and response. In O’Connor FG, Schoomaker EB, Smith DC [eds]: The Fundamentals of Military Medicine (Borden Institute: Ft Sam Houston, Texas; 2019), pp 503-529.
- Dupré AA, Wightman JM. Red and painful eye. In Walls RM, Hockberger RS, Gausche-Hill M, Bakes K, Baren JM, Erickson TB, Jagoda A, Kaji A, Van Rooyen MJ, Zane RD [eds]: Rosen’s Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice [ed 9] (Mosby-Elsevier: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; 2017), pp 169-183.
- Wightman JM, Dice WH. Winter storms and hazards. In Koenig KA, Schultz CH [eds]: Koenig & Schultz’s Disaster Medicine: Comprehensive Principles and Practices [ed 2] (Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, United Kingdom; 2016), pp 670-691.
- Burns GD, Wightman JM. Explosive events. In Koenig KA, Schultz CH [eds]: Koenig & Schultz’s Disaster Medicine: Comprehensive Principles and Practices [ed 2] (Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, United Kingdom; 2016), pp 463-485.
- Mucciarone JJ, Llewellyn CH, Wightman JM. Tactical combat casualty care in the assault on Punta Paitilla Airfield. Military Medicine 2006; 171(8):687-690.
- Sharp TW, Wightman JM, Davis MJ, Sherman SS, Burkle FM. Military assistance in complex humanitarian emergencies: what have we learned since the Kurdish relief effort? Prehospital and Disaster Medicine 2001; 16(4):197-208.
- Keim SM, Rein JA, Chisholm C, Dyne PL, Hendey GW, Jouriles NJ, King RW, Schrading W, Salomone J, Swart G, Wightman JM. A standardized letter of recommendation for residency application. Academic Emergency Medicine 1999; 6(11):1141-1146.
- Wightman JM, Hurley LD. Emergency department management of eye injuries. Critical Decisions in Emergency Medicine 1998; 12(7):1-11.