Jose Rodriguez, DNP, RN, CCNS, CNOR
Jose A Rodriguez, DNP, RN, CCNS, CNOR, Major, Army
Name: Jose A Rodriguez, DNP, RN, CCNS, CNOR, Major, Army
Infection Control: Focus on Surgical Instruments Sterilization Processing and Aseptic Techniques
Safety: Focus on Universal Protocol
Master of Science in Nursing (2014), Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (2005), Inter American University of Puerto Rico, San Juan, PR
Dr. Rodriguez enlisted in the Army in 1995 as a logistician and began his nursing career 13 years ago as a medical surgical nurse in Moncrief Army Community Hospital, Fort Jackson, NC. He received his commission in the United States Army Nurse Corps in 2005 after graduating with a BSN from the Inter American University, San Juan, PR. In 2007, Dr. Rodriguez successfully completed the Army Perioperative Nursing Course at Fort Sam Houston, TX and has been a Certified Perioperative Registered Nurse since 2008. His assignments as perioperative staff nurse include Carl R. Darnell Army Medical Center, Fort Hood, TX, Joint Base Balad Hospital, Balad, Iraq, and Weed Army Community Hospital, Fort Irwin, CA. In 2019, he obtained his doctorate in nursing practice from The University of Alabama, and in 2014, his MSN as a Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS) from the Uniformed Services University and became nationally certified as a Critical Care CNS. MAJ Rodriguez was then assigned to Womack Army Medical Center as a Perioperative CNS where he significantly contributed in the development and implementation of a various programs that focused on the improvement of infection control practices, such as endoscope and surgical instrumentation processing. He was later assigned as the Clinical Nurse Officer in Charge of the operating room, where he managed 11 surgical suites that averaged approximately 800 surgical cases per month. Dr. Rodriguez is a graduate from the Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, KS.
Major military awards include the Meritorious Service Medal and the Army Commendation Medal (5).
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- Deputy Perioperative Consultant to The Army Surgeon General
- 2020 AORN Journal Writers Contest Award Winner (April, 2020)
- Clinical Improvement/Innovation Poster Award of Excellence, 2019 AORN Global Surgical Conference & Expo, Nashville, TN
- CNOIC, Operating Room, Womack Army Medical Center, Fort Bragg, NC
- 3SL Operative Service Director, Womack Army Medical Center, Fort Bragg, NC
- Peri-Operative Clinical Nurse Specialist, Womack Army Medical Center, Fort Bragg, NC
- Bradley, D., Rodriguez, J., Oliver, J.,Taylor, L.& Wanzer, L.(2019). Impact of the CNS on the transformation of military healthcare from bedside to battlefield. Journal of the Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists.
- Rodriguez,J & Hooper, G. ATP‐bioluminescence Technology as an Adjunct Tool to Validate Cleanliness of Surgical Instruments. AORN Journal. 2019. 110(6), 596-604. doi.org/10.1002/aorn.12864
- Rodriguez, J., Hooper, G. (2019). Poster, Adenosine Triphosphate-Bioluminescence Technology as an Adjunct Tool to Validate Cleanliness of Surgical Instruments. AORN Global Surgical Conference & Expo, Nashville, TN.
- Podium, Corticosteroid versus Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection in Lateral Epicondylitis.” Tri-Service Nursing Research Program Dissemination Course, San Antonio, TX. 2016.
- Rodriguez, J. 2014. Corticosteroid versus Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection in Lateral Epicondylitis. Orthopedic Nursing. 33(5), 257-265. doi: 10.1097/NOR.0000000000000081