Joseph May, MD, MPH
Joseph W. May, MD, MPH, Lieutenant Colonel, Army
Name: Joseph W. May, MD, MPH, Lieutenant Colonel, Army
Clinical impact of a novel patch ambulatory rhythm monitor in children
Management of a "new" murmur in healthy children and teens
Fellowship: Pediatric Cardiology, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, CA (2009-2012)
Residency: Pediatrics, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC (2005-2007)
Internship: Pediatrics, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC (2004-2005)
MD: Pennsylvania State College of Medicine, Hershey, PA (2000-2004)
MPH: University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA (2010-2012)
BA: Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD (1996-2000)
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- Walter Reed Master Clinician Recognition (2017)
- Product Line Chair, National Capital Region Pediatric Cardiology (2014-present)
- Clerkship Director, Walter Reed Pediatric and Adult Congenital Cardiology (2013-2016)
- Staff Pediatric Cardiologist, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center (2012-2014)
- Field Surgeon (PROFIS), 3rd Squadron, 71st Infantry Regiment, Paktika Province, Afghanistan (2013-2014)
- Brigade Surgeon, 2nd Brigade, 1st Armored Division, Baghdad, Iraq (2008-2009)
- Brigade Surgeon, 2nd Brigade, 1st Armored Division, Baumholder, Germany (2007-2008)
- Alpha Omega Alpha National Honor Medical Society
- May JW, Cardiology, In: Pediatric Surgery and Medicine for Hostile Environments, Second Edition, Creamer KM and Fuenfer MM, eds., Borden Institute, 431-443, 2016.
- Weber L, May J, Needleman M. Pre-operative voltage mapping in Ebstein’s anomaly: can we make the late arrhythmogenic mortality following the cone procedure zero? Cardiol Young. 2017 Mar;27(2):373-374.
- Gupta LJ and May JW. Managing a “new” murmur in healthy children and teens. Clinical Pediatrics. 2016 Jun;5(4):357-362.
- Pinches H, Dobbins K, May J, Lopreiato J. Asymptomatic Kawasaki disease in a 3 month old infant. Pediatrics. 2016 Aug;138(2):e20153936. [Epub ahead of print]
- Khoury M, Kallile M, May J, Punn R. Systemic hypertension in an infant with unrepaired tetralogy of Fallot: case report. Cardiol Young. 2012 Nov 13:1-3.
- May JW and Shmorhun DP. Migration of an abandoned pacemaker into the pouch of Douglas in a child with complex congenital heart disease. Pacing and Clinical Electrophys. 2007 Jul;30(7):910-11.
- Carter EL, Burklow TR, Hitt JR, May JW. Clinical impact of a novel patch ambulatory rhythm monitor in children. Accepted for oral presentation at the American Academy of Pediatrics National Conference (Section on Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery), September 15, 2017.
- Johnescu KJ, Peterson PG, Villines TC, May JW. Use of ultra-low dose CT-angiography to rule out malignant coronary anomalies in pediatric patients. National Capital Region Research Symposium, May 3, 2017.
- God B, Needleman M, May J. An unusual case of reversible heart failure with apparent Mobitz II atrioventricular block in a teenage male. American Academy of Pediatrics National Conference (Section on Uniformed Services), October 23, 2016.
- Gupta LJ and May JW. Does the presence of a “new” murmur predict cardiac pathology in otherwise asymptomatic children and adolescents? American Academy of Pediatrics National Conference (Section on Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery), October 23, 2015.