Joseph McCabe, B.A., M.S., M.Phil., Ph.D.
Joseph T McCabe, B.A., M.S., M.Phil., Ph.D.
Name: Joseph T McCabe, B.A., M.S., M.Phil., Ph.D.
Traumatic Brain Injury
Rutgers College Bachelor of Arts June 1974
New Brunswick, New Jersey
University of Wisconsin Master of Science in December 1976
Oshkosh, Wisconsin Clinical Psychology
City University of New York Master of Philosophy July 1983
New York, New York Doctor of Philosophy in
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- The Rockefeller University Postdoctoral Fellow (1983-July 1985), Research Associate (July 1985-June 1987), Assistant Professor (July 1987-August 1989)
- Program Director for Neuroprotection and Modeling, The Center for Neuroscience and Regenerative Medicine, USUHS, 2008-present
- Professor of Neuroscience (Secondary) August 1998-present
- Professor of Molecular & Cell Biology (Secondary) August 1998-present
- First recipient of the University’s, F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine, Outstanding Biomedical Graduate Educator Award, May 16, 1998
- USUHS President’s Outstanding Service Medal, May 21, 2012
- F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine Impact Award, 2015
- McCabe, J.T., Moratz, C., Liu, Y., Egan, R., Chen, H., Liu, J., Budinich, C., Burton, E. E., Danquah, J.K., Myers, M. Animal models for the study of military-related, blast-induced traumatic brain injury. IEEE Xplore, Biomedical Sciences and Engineering Conference (BSEC), 25-26 May 2010, 1–4, Digital Object Identifier: 10.1109/BSEC.2010.5510803, Date of Current Version: 15 July 2010
- Budinich, C.S., Chen, H., Lowe, D., Rosenberger, J.G., Bernstock, J.D., McCabe, J.T. Mouse brain PSA-NCAM levels are altered by graded controlled cortical impact injury, Neural Plasticity, 2012, Volume 2012, Article ID 378307, 13 pages, doi:10.1155/2012/378307
- Budinich, C.S., Tucker, L.B., Lowe, D., Rosenberger, J.G., McCabe, J.T. Short and long-term motor and behavioral effects of diazoxide and dimethyl sulfoxide administration in the mouse after traumatic brain injury. Pharmacology, Biochemistry & Behavior, 2013, 108, 66-73. DOI information: 10.1016/j.pbb.2013.04.001.
- McCabe JT, Moratz C, Liu Y, Burton E, Morgan A, Budinich C, Lowe D, Rosenberger J, Chen H, Liu J, Myers M. High-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) exposure as a model for mechanically-induced mild brain injury in mice. Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, 2014, 40, 965-978.
- Guo, H., Liu, J., VanShura, K., Chen, H., Flora, M.N., Myers, T.M., McDonough, J.H., McCabe, J.T. N-Acetyl-aspartyl-glutamate and inhibition of glutamate carboxypeptidases protects against soman-induced neuropathology. NeuroToxicology, 2015, 48, 180-191
- Tucker, L.B., Fu, A.H., McCabe, J.T. Performance of male and female C57BL/6J mice on motor and cognitive tasks commonly used in pre-clinical traumatic brain injury research. Journal of Neurotrauma, 2016, 33, 880-894
- Tucker, L.B., Burke, J.F., Fu, A.H., McCabe, J.T. Neuropsychiatric symptom modeling in male and female C57BL/6J mice following experimental traumatic brain injury. Journal of Neurotrauma, 2017, 34, 890-905
- Tucker, L.B. and McCabe, J.T. Behavior of male and female C57BL/6J mice is more consistent with repeated trials in the elevated zero maze than in the elevated plus maze. Frontiers in Behavioural Neuroscience, 2017, 11 (Article 13) https://doi.org/10.3389/fnbeh.2017.00013
- Velosky, A.G., Tucker, L.B., Fu, A.H., Liu, J., McCabe, J.T. Cognitive performance of male and female C57BL/6J mice after repetitive concussive brain injuries. Behavioural Brain Research, 2017, 324, 115-124
- Kim, Y., Fu, A., Tucker, L., Liu, J. and McCabe, J.T. Characterization of controlled cortical impact devices by high speed image analysis. Journal of Neuroscience Research, 2018, doi: 10.1002/jnr.24099. [Epub ahead of print]