Joseph Weistroffer, MD
Joseph K Weistroffer, MD
Name: Joseph K Weistroffer, MD
Leaderhship Education and Development
Doctor of Medicine, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD--1993
Categorical Medicine Internship, National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, MD--1994
Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine Course, Naval Undersea Medical Institute, Groton, CT--1994
Orthopaedic Surgery Residency, Naval Medical Center, San Diego, CA--2001
Orthopaedic Spine Surgery Fellowship, Twin Cities Spine Center, Minneapolis, MN--2002
He graduated from the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences and was a Categorical Medicine Intern at the National Naval Medical Center. After his Orthopaedic Surgery Residency at the Naval Medical Center San Diego, he completed the Twin Cities Spine Center Fellowship in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
His experiences in Orthopaedic Surgery include positions as Vice Chairman at the Naval Medical Center San Diego, founding Orthopaedic Spine Surgery Fellowship Director at Northwestern University in Chicago and full partner at New England Neurological Associates outside Boston, Massachusetts.
Dr. Weistroffer's interest in the study of leadership was founded at the US Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland and enriched during a semester at the US Military Academy at West Point and through his experience as a Marine Corp Platoon Commander.
He is fond of his tour as an F-14 Fighter Pilot serving on the Admiral's Staff in San Diego as well as serving as a Submarine Medical Officer for the Navy's Pacific Trident Submarine Fleet in Bangor, Washington. He deployed as Expeditionary Medical Force 10's Orthopaedic Surgeon in Djibouti, Africa in support of the global war on terrorism.
He has served on the Leadership Development Committee for the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, written the curriculum for their Leadership Fellows Program and currently sits on the Council of Orthopaedic Residency Directors/ Academics Committee for the American Orthopaedic Association. He is this year's Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society's Fellow in Leadership.
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- Founding Director, Orthopaedic Spine Surgery Fellowship, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL
- Vice-Chairman, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Naval Medical Center, San Diego, CA
- Fellow in Leadership, Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- Leadership Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Chairman, Leadership Development Endowment Fund, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Curriculum Consultant for the Leadership Development Committee, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Course Chairman, Orthopaedic Leadership Symposium, New York University Hospital for Joint Diseases
- Orthopaedic Surgeon, Expeditionary Medical Force 10, Djibouti, Africa
- Team Leader, Surgical Team for Haitian Earthquake Relief, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL
- Member, Council of Orthopaedic Residency Directors/Academic Committee, American Orthopaedic Association
- Snoap T, Walbridge J, Albright P, Weistroffer JK, Kenter K: Orthopaedic surgery resident consultations at a level 1 Trauma Center. Curr Orthop Pract. 30(1): 26-29, January/February 2019.
- Murray MR, Weistroffer JK, Schafer MF: Case report of an abscess developing at the site of a hematoma following a direct lateral interbody fusion. Spine J. 12(7): e1-e4, July 2012.
- Hsu WK, Weistroffer JK: Pars Repair. In: Wang JC,, ed. Advanced Reconstruction: Spine. 1st ed. Rosemont, IL: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons; 2011.
- Weistroffer JK, Hsu WK: Return-to-play outcomes in National Football League linemen following lumbar discectomy. Am J Sports Med. 39: 632-636, March 2011.
- Weistroffer JK, Perra JH, Lonstein JE, Schwender JD, Garvey TA, Transfeldt EE, Ogilvie JW, Denis F, Wroblewski JM: Complications in long fusions to the sacrum for adult scoliosis: Minimum five-year analysis of fifty patients. Spine. 33(13): 1478-1483, June 1, 2008.
- Weistroffer JK, Muldoon MP, Duncan DD, Fletcher E, Padgett DE: Femoral neck stress fractures: Outcome analysis at a minimum five-year follow-up. J Ortho Trauma. 17(5): 334-337, May 2003.
- Weistroffer JK, Mills WJ, Shin AY: Recurrent rupture of the triceps tendon repaired with hamstrings tendon: A case report. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 12(2): 193-196, March/April 2003.
- Weistroffer JK: Trident submarine as a special warfare platform: A medical and operational overview. Submarine Review. 1:24-32, January-March 1996.