Joshua Gray, PhD
Joshua C Gray, PhD
Name: Joshua C Gray, PhD
addiction, alcohol use, tobacco use, impulsivity, psychiatric genetics, cognitive neuroscience
M.S., Clinical Psychology, University of Georgia, Athens, GA
Predoctoral Psychology Resident, Brown University, Providence, RI
Ph.D., Clinical Psychology, University of Georgia, Athens, GA
Specific research topics include:
1) Genetic and neurobiological bases of addiction, cross-cutting phenotypes (e.g., impulsivity, personality), and comorbidities (e.g., suicidality, mTBI).
2) Military health services research related to improving care for soldiers who engage in harmful alcohol use.
3) Passive smartphone monitoring technology to estimate mood and cognitive function.
4) Novel interventions for alcohol use disorder.
Many projects utilize large open datasets (e.g., https://www.humanconnectome.org/study/hcp-young-adult/overview; https://abcdstudy.org/about.html; http://www.ukbiobank.ac.uk/about-biobank-uk/) and open source statistical packages, particularly R.
Current grant support:
USU Health Services Research Program Award
2020-2022; Total funding: $250,000
Role: Principal Investigator
Healthcare utilization and readiness outcomes among soldiers with post‐deployment at risk drinking, by multimorbidity clusters
- Gray, J. C., Thompson, M., Bachman, C., Owens, M. M., Murphy, M., & Palmer, R. H. C. (2020). Associations of cigarette smoking with gray and white matter in the UK Biobank. Neuropsychopharmacology. doi: 10.1038/s41386-020-0630-2
- Adams, R. S., Dietrich, E. J., Gray, J. C., Milliken, C., Moresco, N., & Larson, M. J. (2019). Post-deployment screening in the Military Health System: An opportunity to intervene for possible alcohol use disorder. Health Affairs, 38(8), 1298-1306. doi: 10.1377/hlthaff.2019.00284
- Gray, J. C., Schvey, N. A., & Tanofsky-Kraff, M. (2019). Demographic, psychological, behavioral, and cognitive correlates of BMI in youth: Findings from the Adolescent Brain Cognitive Development (ABCD) study. Psychological Medicine. doi: 10.1017/S0033291719001545
- Sanchez-Roige, S., Gray, J. C., MacKillop, J., Chen, Chi-Hua, & Palmer, A. A. (2018). The genetics of human personality. Genes, Brain and Behavior, 17(3), e12439. doi: 10.1111/gbb.12439
- Gray, J. C., Owens, M. M., Hyatt, C. S., & Miller, J. D. (2018). No evidence for morphometric associations of the amygdala and hippocampus with the five-factor model personality traits in relatively healthy young adults. PLOS ONE. 9(13), e0204011. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0204011