Juanita Anders, M.S., Ph.D.
Juanita J. Anders, M.S., Ph.D.
Name: Juanita J. Anders, M.S., Ph.D.
light interaction with cells, tissues and organisms: photobiomodulation
CNS and PNS nerve regeneration; neuropathic pain therapeutics
Ph.D. 1977 University of Maryland Medical School, MD Anatomy
M.S. 1972 Pennsylvania State University, PA Zoology
B.A. 1969 Wilkes University, PA Biology
POST-GRADUATE MEDICAL EDUCATION:
Specialty Year Institution
Post-Doctoral Fellow 1976 to 1980 NINCDS, NIH
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- 1976 -1980 Postdoctoral Fellow, Laboratory of Neuropathology and Neuroanatomical Sciences, NINCDS, NIH; 1983 -1989 Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, USUHS .. 1989-2006 Associate Professor, Department of Anatomy, Physiology and Genetics, USUHS; 2006 -Present Professor, Department of Anatomy, Physiology and Genetics, USUHS; 2006- Present Professor of Neuroscience (Secondary), USUHS.
- 2011 Harold Chaffer Trust Visiting Professorship, University of Otago, New Zealand;
- 2014- 2015 President of the American Society of Lasers in Medicine and Surgery; 2016 Excellence in Education Award from the American Society of Lasers for Medicine and Surgery;
- The Chukuka Enwemeka Leadership Award in Photobiomodulation from the North American Association for Photobiomodulation Therapy (NAALT).
- Patent: Light promotes regeneration and functional recovery after spinal cord injury US 20060036299 A1 Application number US 11/022,314 Publication date Feb 16, 2006 Inventors Juanita Anders, Ilko Ilev, Ronald Waynant, Kimberly Byrnes
- Patent: Juanita J. Anders, USU and Nitto Denko Corp with USPTO (application # 61/547,267). Organic Light Emitting Diode (OLED) Low Power Light Therapy for Wound Healing (filed 2011)
- Patent: Light as a Replacement for Mitogenic Factors on Progenitor Cells #067400143 JJ Anders Co-Inventor, granted full patent status. United States Patent No. 9,205,276, issued on 12/8/2015.
- 2003- 2014 Editorial Board, Journal of Photomedicine and Laser Surgery; 2014- Present Senior Editor of Journal of Photomedicine and Laser Surgery; 2005- Present Editorial Board, Journal of Lasers in Surgery and Medicine 2016- Present Appointed Assistant Editor of Lasers in Surgery and Medicine 2009- Present Editorial Board, Journal of Lasers in Medical Science; 2015- Present Associate Editor of Lasers in Medical Science
- Holanda VM, M.C. Chavantes, X. Wu and J.J. Anders (2017) The mechanistic basis for photobiomodulation therapy of neuropathic pain by near infrared laser light. Lasers Surg. Med. 48: 653-659Published online in Wiley Online Library (wileyonlinelibrary.com) January DOI 10.1002/lsm.22628
- Anders, J.J., A. K. Ketz and X. Wu (2017 Basic Principles of Photobiomodulation and Its Effects at the Cellular, Tissue, and System Levels. In: Laser Therapy in Veterinary Medicine: Photobiomodulation, First Edition. Edited by R. J. Riegel and J. C. Godbold, Jr., John Wiley & Sons Ltd. Published 2017 by John Wiley & Sons Ltd. Chp.5: 36 -51.
- Baxter, G.D., L. Liu, S. Petrich, A. Gisselman, C, Chapple, J. J. Anders and S. Tumilty (2017) Low level laser therapy (Photobiomodulation therapy) for breast cancer-related lymphedema: A systematic review. BMC Cancer 17: 833. doi: 10.1186/s12885-017-3852-x
- Anders, J.J. and X. WU (2016) Comparison of light penetration of continuous wave 810 nm and super-pulsed 904 nm wavelength light in anesthetized rats. Photomed. Laser Surg., 34 (9): 1–7 DOI: 10.1089/pho.2016.4137.
- Ketz, A. K., K.R. Byrnes, N. E. Grunberg, C. E. Kasper, L. Osborne, B. Pryor, N. L. Tosini, X. Wu, J.J. Anders (2017) Characterization of macrophage/microglial activation and effect of photobiomodulation in the spared nerve injury model of neuropathic pain. Pain Medicine (5): 932-946.
- Holanda VM, M.C. Chavantes, D.F. Silva, C.V. de Holanda, J.O. de Oliveira Jr., X. Wu, J.J. Anders (2016) Photobiomodulation of the dorsal root ganglion for the treatment of low back pain: A pilot study. Lasers Surg. Med., 48 (7):653-659. Published first online, Wiley Online Library (wileyonlinelibrary.com). DOI 10.1002/lsm.22522.
- Anders J.J., R. Lanzafame, P. R. Arany (2015) Low-Level Light/Laser Therapy Versus Photobiomodulation Therapy. Photomed. Laser Surg., 33 (4):183–184. DOI: 10.1089/pho.2015.9848. (Editorial).
- Wu, X., S. Alberico, E. Saidu, S. R. Khan, S. Zheng, R. Romero, H. S. Chae, S. Li, A. Mochizuki, J.J. Anders (2015) Organic light emitting diode irradiation improves diabetic cutaneous wound healing in rats. Wound Repair and Regen.,23 (1): 104–114.
- Tedford, C.E., S. DeLapp, S. Jacques and J.J. Anders (2015) Quantitative analysis of transcranial and intraparenchymal light penetration in human cadaver brain tissue. Lasers Surg. Med., 47(4): 312-322. Article first published online: 13 MAR 2015 | DOI: 10.1002/lsm.22343.
- Anders J.J., H. Moges, X. Wu, I. Erbele, S. Alberico, E. Saidu, J. Smith, and B. Pryor (2014) In vitro and in vivo optimization of infrared laser treatment for injured peripheral nerves. Lasers Surg. Med., 46: 34-45.