Karen Vogt, MD
Karen S Vogt, MD, Colonel, Army
Name: Karen S Vogt, MD, Colonel, Army
General Pediatric Endocrinology, Medical Education
Prader-Willi syndrome, Health-Care Disparities
Residency in Pediatrics (2002) - San Antonio Military Pediatric Center
Internship in Pediatrics (2000) - San Antonio Military Pediatric Center
MD (1999) - Case Western Reserve University
BA (1995) - Grinnell College
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- Program Director, NCC Pediatric Endocrinology Fellowship (2013-present)
- American Academy of Pediatrics PREP Self-Assesment Editorial Board (2015-present)
- “A” Proficiency Designator - the highest recognition of professional excellence in the Army Medical Department (AMEDD) (2016)
- Chief, Pediatric Endocrinology Division, Department of Pediatrics, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, MD, and previously Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC (2009-2013)
- Deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom 07-09 as Squadron Surgeon (PROFIS), Medical Troop, Regimental Support Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment (Aug 2007-Oct 2008)
- Klein DA, Emerick JE, Sylvester JE, Vogt KS. Disorders of Puberty: An Approach to Diagnosis and Management. Am Fam Physician. 2017 Nov 1;96(9):590-599. PubMed PMID: 29094880.
- Carter T, Isfort A, Vogt K, Emerick J. DKA, Quality & Costs: why writing down a back-up plan saves money and lives. AADE In Practice. 2017 March;5(2): 18-23.
- Weeks M, Vogt K, Kimball-Eayrs C. Index of suspicion. Case 1: Hypotonia and failure to thrive in a 3-month-old boy. Pediatr Rev. 2016 Jan;37(1):39-41.
- Paz R, Rouhanian M, Vogt K. Glycemic control and sponsor rank of military dependents with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Pediatr Diabetes. 2016 Sep;17(6):449-57. Epub 2015 Aug 28.
- Philla KQ, Min SB, Hefner JN, Howard RS, Reinhardt BJ, Nazareno LG, Vogt KS. Swallowed glucocorticoid therapy for eosinophilic esophagitis in children does not suppress adrenal function. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2015 Sep 1;28(9-10):1101-6
- Vogt KS. Origins of Military Medical Care as an Essential Source of Morale. Military Medicine. 2015 Jun;180(6):604-6.
- Vogt, KS and Emerick, JE. Growth Hormone Therapy in Adults with Prader-Willi Syndrome. Diseases 2015, 3, 56-67.
- Philla KQ, Bauer AJ, Vogt KS, Greeley SA. Successful transition from insulin to sulfonylurea therapy in a patient with monogenic neonatal diabetes owing to a KCNJ11 F333L mutation. Diabetes Care. 2013 Dec;36(12):e201.
- Emerick JE and Vogt KS: Endocrine manifestations and management of Prader-Willi syndrome. International Journal of Pediatric Endocrinology 2013:14. (Invited Review)
- Penko K (Vogt), Livezey J, Fenton C, Patel A, Nicholson D, Flora M, Oakley K, Tuttle RM, and Francis GL. BRAF mutations are uncommon in papillary thyroid cancer (PTC) of young patients. Thyroid, vol 15(4), April 2005, p 320-5.