Karla Vega Colon
Karla M. Vega Colon, Major, Army
Name: Karla M. Vega Colon, Major, Army
Florida Hospital College of Health Sciences
Orlando, FL 32803
2008-2012 Doctor of Allopathic Medicine
New York Medical College
Valhalla, NY 10595
2012-2015 Internship and Residency in Family Medicine
Tripler Army Medical Center
Honolulu, HI 96859
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- Military Awards/Honors: Two Army Commendation Medal (ARCOM), one National Defense Service Medal (NDSM), Global War on Terrorism Service Medal (GWOTS), Korea Defense Service Medal (KDSM), Army Service Ribbon (ASR), Two Overseas Service Ribbons (OSR), Afghanistan Campaign Medal, and NATO Non-Article 5 Medal.
- Committees: Trauma Performance Improvement Program (PIP), Medical Records Review and Improvement Team (MRRIT), Tripler Medical Readiness Battalion Surgeon, and HAFP Delegate
- Poster Presentations/Case Reports: “Search and Seizure”: A case of new onset seizures after C4 Exposure Karla Vega Colon M.D., Amina Moghul D.O., Jeremy Johnson M.D.
- Near the Eye of Danger: Concurrent Herpes Zoster Ophthalmicus and Preseptal Cellulitis Karla Vega Colon M.D., Luke Krautter M.D.
- Leg Swelling with known deep vein thrombosis “May be turned around” by diagnosis and treatment of May-Thurner Syndrome. Karla Vega Colon M. D., Luke M. Wicke D.O Tripler Army Medical Center, Honolulu, HI.
- DO NO HARMIATROGENIC PNEUMOTHORAX RESULTING FROM ACUPUNTURE AND DEEP DRY NEEDLING.Karla Vega Colon M.D., Holly Crellin M.D., and Paul Allred M.D. presented by Paul Allred, M.D. at USAFP (stage presentation) Jacksonville, FL 2018
- Aseptic Meningitis from Ehrlichia Chaffeensis Charles Graves M.D., Connie Hsia M.D., Karla Vega Colon M.D.Presented by Charles Graves at Uniformed Services Academy of Family Physicians (poster) Jacksonville, FL 2018
- Got Milk? Rapid Progression of Lactation Ketoacidosis in the Setting of Acute Mastitis Karla Vega Colon M.D., Sean Costello D.O., Nicholas Kohles M.D. Presented by Sean Costello M.D. at Hawaii Academy of Family Physicians Conference (poster), Honolulu, HI and USAFP
- What a Drag: A Case of Electronic-cigarette Associated Acute Eosinophilic Pneumonia Molly Booy, M.D., Karla Vega-Colon, M.D., Samuel Tiglao, D.O.To be presented by Dr. Molly Booy at Uniformed Services Academy of Family Physicians (stage presentation) St Louis, MO 2019
- Sports medicine journal article submission 15 Oct 2018: Pyomyositis of the Vastus Medialis: A Case Report- Connie Hsia, MD, Caitlin Granadillos, DO, Karla Vega-Colon, MD
- Dr. Karla M. Vega Colon earned a B.S. in Health Sciences from Florida Hospital College of Health Sciences (now AdventHealth University) in Orlando, FL in 2007. She spent a year as a student instructor tutoring students in physics, chemistry, biochemistry, anatomy and physiology, and algebra. She then went on to earn her Doctor of Medicine from New York Medical College School of Medicine in 2012. Dr. Vega Colon completed her Family Medicine training at Tripler Army Medical Center in Honolulu, HI in 2015.
- She has been stationed at Tripler Army Medical Center Honolulu, Hawaii, served as the Medical Director at Yongsan Troop Medical Clinic (TMC) Seoul, South Korea, and returned as Faculty to the Tripler Family Medicine Residency in Honolulu, Hawaii. Dr. Vega Colon currently serves as the Uniformed Services University (USU) Family Medicine Student Site Director and Assistant Professor of Family Medicine a USU, University of Hawaii (UH), Keck School of Medicine of University of Southern California (USC).
- Dr. Vega Colon recently returned from a deployment in support of Operation Resolute Support 2018-2019. Her professional memberships include the Uniformed Services Academy of Family Physicians (USAFP), Hawaii Academy of Family Physicians (HAFP), and the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP).