Katherine Alguire, DNAP, CRNA
Katherine J Alguire, DNAP, CRNA, Lieutenant Colonel, Air Force
Name: Katherine J Alguire, DNAP, CRNA, Lieutenant Colonel, Air Force
Dec 2003 Master of Science in Nursing Science/Nurse Anesthesia (NA), UT Houston Health Science Center, Houston, TX
US Army Graduate Program in Anesthesia Nursing, San Antonio, TX
Dec 1996 Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Webster University, KCMO
May 1992 Associate of Arts in Nursing, Johnson County Community College, Overland Park, KS
As a dedicated educator, Lt Col Alguire’s contributions to the clinical and didactic education of nurse anesthetists has spanned over a 10 year time period. She has served in both the US Army Graduate Program in Anesthesia Nursing and Uniformed Services University Nurse Anesthesia Program in numerous roles to include clinical student preceptor, senior clinical instructor, assistant clinical site director, clinical site director and Director of Clinical Education. Furthermore, she is the AF Surgeon General Consultant for Nurse Anesthesia and has also served as the Air Force Director of Nurse Anesthesia Education.
Lt Col Alguire began her nursing career as an adult critical care and emergency room nurse in the civilian community. After receiving her Bachelors of Science in Nursing, she was commissioned as a First Lieutenant in the Air Force. Lt Col Alguire was selected to attend nurse anesthesia training and earned her Master of Science in Nursing Anesthesia from the University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston TX in 2003. She obtained her Doctorate of Nursing Anesthesia Practice with an emphasis on education from Texas Wesleyan University, Fort Worth TX in 2012. She has been a practicing Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist for the past 13 years and has been assigned to Ehrling Bergquist Hopsital in Omaha NE, David Grant Medical Center in Fairfield CA and Mike O’Callaghan Federal Medical Center in Las Vegas NV. Lt Col Alguire deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2009.
Major military awards include three Meritorious Service Medals, two Air Force Commendation Medals. Lt Col Alguire has been a member of the American Association of Nurse Anesthetist’s (AANA) since 2001. She is also a member of the Sigma Theta Tau Nursing Honor Society and the Society of Air Force Nurses.
Lt Col Alguire has been married to her husband Guerdon for 32 years. They have 3 adult children Sarah, Steven and Samantha and 1 grandson. She enjoys reading, watching movies and spending time at the drag strip with her family.
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- AF Surgeon General Consultant for Nurse Anesthesia
- Sept 2017 - AANA State of the Science Poster Presentation: Use of a High-Fidelity Patient Simulator to Introduce an Evidence-Based Emergency Manual into Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist Practice
- Sept 2014 – AANA State of the Science Poster Presentation: Adult Emergence Delirium: A Literature Review.
- Aug 2013 - AANA State of the Science Poster Presentation: An Evidenced Based Review of Dexmedetomidine Effectiveness on Prevention of Preoperative Anxiety and Emergence Delirium in Pediatric Patients.
- Aug 2012 – AANA State of the Science Poster Presentation: An Evidenced Based Review of the Literature Examining Perioperative Management of Automated Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators (AICD).
- Aug 2003 - AANA State of the Science Poster Presentation: Gender Differences in Recovery Times from General Anesthesia Using Sevoflurane and the Bispectral Index Monitor.
- Air Force Meritorious Service Medals x3
- Air Force Commendation Medals x2