Kevin Chung, MD, FCCM, FACP
Kevin K Chung, MD, FCCM, FACP, Colonel, Army
Name: Kevin K Chung, MD, FCCM, FACP, Colonel, Army
Burn critical care
Georgetown School of Medicine, Washington DC, 1999
COL Chung holds academic appointments at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences as Professor of Medicine and Professor of Surgery. In his career, COL Chung has authored over 180 manuscripts in peer reviewed journals, authored 13 book chapters, and has been an invited speaker for over 85 lectures internationally.
His research interests include burn resuscitation, critical care and organ failure.
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- Chief, Department of Medicine, Brooke Army Medical Center, Ft. Sam Houston, TX
- Critical Care Consultant to the Surgeon General
- 2nd Vice-President, American Burn Association
- Gold Headed Cane Recipient, San Antonio Unformed Services Health Education Consortium
- The Surgeon General “A” Proficiency Designator
- The Army American College of Physicians COL William Crosby Superiority in Research Award
- The Army Surgeon General’s Physician Recognition Award
- Rising Star Award, Association of Military Surgeons of the United States
- Deployed as Chief, Intensive Care Unit, 86th CSH in Baghdad, Iraq 2008
- Deployed as Director, Joint Combat Casualty Research Team, Bagram, Afghanistan 2012
- Stewart IJ, Sosnov JA, Howard JT, Chung KK. Acute Kidney Injury in Critically Injured Combat Veterans: A Retrospective Cohort Study. Am J Kidney Dis 2016;68:564-570.
- Clemens MS, Stewart IJ, Sosnov JA, Howard JT, Belenkiy SM, Sine CR, Henderson JL, Buel AR, Batchinsky AI, Cancio LC, Chung KK. Reciprocal Risk of Acute Kidney Injury and Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome in Critically Ill Burn Patients. Crit Care Med. 2016 Oct;44(10):e915-22.
- Stewart I, Sosnov J, Howard J, Orman J, Fang R, Morrow B, Zonies D, Bollinger M, Tuman C, Freedman B, Chung KK. Retrospective Analysis of Long Term Outcomes After Combat Injury: A Hidden Cost of War. Circulation 2015 Dec;132(22):2126-2133.
- Rowan M, Cancio LC, Elster EA, Burmeister DM, Rose LF, Natesan S, Chan RK, Christy RJ, Chung KK. Burn Wound Healing and Treatment: Review and Advancements. Crit Care 2015 Jun;19:243.
- Chung KK, Stewart I, Gisler C, Simmons J, Aden J, Tilley M, Cotant C, White C, Wolf S, Renz E. The Acute Kidney Injury Network (AKIN) Criteria Applied in Burns. J Burn Care Res 2012;33:532-538.
- Chung KK, Salinas J, Renz E, Alvarado R, King B, Barillo D, Cancio L, Wolf S, Blackbourne L. Simple Derivation of the Initial Fluid Rate for the Resuscitation of Severely Burned Adult Combat Casualties: In Silico Validation of the Rule of Ten. J Trauma 2010;69:S49-S54.
- Chung KK, Wolf S, Renz E, Allan P, Aden J, Merrill G, Shelhammer M, King B, White C, Bell D, Schwacha M, Wanek S, Wade C, Holcomb J, Blackbourne L, Cancio L. High Frequency Percussive Ventilation and Low Tidal Volume Ventilation in Burns: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Crit Care Med 2010;38:1970-1977.
- Chung KK, Lundy J, Matson J, Renz E, White C, King B, Barillo D, Jones J, Cancio L, Blackbourne L, Wolf S. Continuous Venovenous Hemofiltration in Severely Burned Patients with Acute Kidney Injury: A Cohort Study. Crit Care 2009;13:R62.
- Chung KK, Perkins R, Oliver J. Renal Replacement Therapy in Support of Combat Operations. Critical Care Medicine 2008;36(7):S365-S369.
- Shorr A, Chung KK, Waterman P, Jackson W, Kollef M. Fluconazole Prophylaxis in Critically Ill Surgical Patients: A Meta-analysis. Critical Care Medicine 2005;33(9);1928-35.