Mark Lenart, MD, MPH, FASA
Mark J Lenart, MD, MPH, FASA, Captain, Navy
Name: Mark J Lenart, MD, MPH, FASA, Captain, Navy
Obstetric Anesthesia, Regional Anesthesia, Acute Pain
2010 - 2011 Fellowship, Regional Anesthesiology/Acute Pain and Obstetric Anesthesiology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN
2007 - 2010 Residency in Anesthesiology, National Capital Consortium
2004 - 2007 Master Degree of Public Health, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI
2004 Naval Undersea Medicine Program, Naval Undersea Medical Institute
2002 – 2003 Transitional Internship, National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, MD
1998 - 2002 Doctor of Medicine, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD
1987 - 1991 Bachelor of Science , United States Naval Academy, Annapolis, MD, Major: Control Systems Engineering
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- Branch Head, Surface Medicine, BUMED (M35), Falls Church, VA, - Aug 2019 - present
- Officer-in-Charge, Fleet Surgical Team FOUR, Norfolk, VA, - Aug 2017 - Aug 2019
- TYCOM Surgeon, Commander, Naval Surface Force Atlantic, Norfolk, VA, - Feb 2018 - Aug 2018
- Chairman, Department of Anesthesiology, Perioperative and Pain Medicine, Naval Medical Center Portsmouth, Portsmouth, VA, - Feb 2014 - Aug 2017
- Chief of Acute Pain Service, Kandahar Role 3 MMU, Kandahar, Afghanistan, - June 2012 - Jan 2013
- Chief, Obstetric Anesthesiology, Naval Medical Center Portsmouth, VA, - Sept 2011 - Aug 2017
- Fellow, Regional Anesthesiology/Acute Pain and Obstetric Anesthesiology - Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN, - August 2010 - August 2011
- Member, American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA), Committee on Uniformed Services and Veterans' Affairs - 2017 - present
- Diving Medical Officer, Mine Countermeasures Squadron, Ingleside, TX, - July 2004 - July 2007
- Assistant Professor of Naval Science, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, - August 1996 - July 1998
- 1. Carness J, Lenart M. “Current Local Anesthetic Applications in Neuraxial Anesthesia”. In Local Anesthetics. 2019, Aug 7, IntechOpen.
- 2. Carness J, Lenart M. "Spinal Anaesthesia for Cesarean Section in a Patient with Vascular Type Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome". Case Reports in Anesthesiology. Vol. 2018, Article ID 1924725, 4 pages, 2018.
- 3. Carness J, Wilson M, Lenart M, Smith D, and Dukes S. “Experiences with Regional Anesthesia for Analgesia during Prolonged Aeromedical Evacuation”. Aerospace Medicine and Human Performance. August 2017; 88(8):768-772.
- 4. Lenart M, Carness J. “Cerebrospinal Fluid Cutaneous Fistula after Continuous Spinal Catheter in an Obstetric Patient”. Anesthesia and Analgesia Case Reports. 1 Sept 2016; 7(5):103-7.
- 5. Hudson A, Whittaker D, Szpisjak DF, Lenart MJ and Bailey MM. “Tumescent Technique for Endovenous Laser Therapy and Serum Lidocaine Concentration”. Journal of Vascular Surgery: Venous and Lymphatic Disorders, 2015-01-01, Volume 3, Issue 1, Pages 48-53.
- 6. Plunkett A, Kuehn D, Lenart M, Wilkerson I. “Opioid maintenance, weaning and detoxification techniques: where we have been, where we are now and what the future holds”. Pain Management. 2013; 3(4):1-8.
- 7. Lenart M, Wong K, Gupta R, Malchow R. “The Impact of Peripheral Nerve Techniques on Hospital Stay Following Major Orthopedic Surgery”. Pain Medicine 2012; 13:828-834.
- 8. Lenart M, Buckenmaier CC, Kim MJ, Plunkett AR. “Development of a Complicated Pain Syndrome Following Cyanide Poisoning in a U.S. Soldier”. Military Medicine, April 2010; 175(4): 292-294(3).
- 9. Watson WD, Verma A, Lenart M, Quast TM, Gauerke SJ, McKenna GJ. “MRI in acute Wernicke’s encephalopathy”. Neurology. 2003;61(4):527.
- 10. Thomas RJ, Lenart MJ. “Moving Toward Eradication of Syphilis”. Military Medicine, June 2002.